You Asked. We Answered - Lanterns Studio Theatre, London

DAY 1 - Planning, Preparation and a Good Old Sweep!

Dear BalletCo Forumites,

Earlier in September, I launched my brand new vision for celebratory dance experience - BALLET NIGHTS - at Lanterns Studio Theatre.

"Ballet Nights presents uniquely compèred evenings of Classical Ballet, Neo-Classical and Contemporary dance, up close and without compromise at Lanterns Studio Theatre, London. " - www.BalletNights.com

The theatre is a part of the 30 year storied East London community centre, providing performing arts and early years childcare for over 3 decades and I became the 'Project Manager' of the newly converted top floor of the space in 2011 - running the venue as a production hire space, and growing with the role alongside my full time job as soloist of Scottish Ballet.

After a successful Pilot performed in October 2021 to an audience of 170 people, featuring world dance stars, and all produced on a budget of £7k, I set out to get my idea seen and heard by those that can make a difference - that that mission was achieved for everyone to see at the launch of our Autumn Season.

However, with success come new challenges, and with more audience members than ever before visiting the venue and approaching our capacity, for the first time I have encountered some balanced and objective feedback on how we can improve the experience for all who attend.

There is no doubt that our new style of event complimentary to the main stages across the world is a fantastic way introduce new audiences to dance, and bring dance fans closer than ever before to the action.

However, the facts are the facts, and if you can see the action then there is very little to celebrate indeed.

Working with the founder of the venue, Janet Viola, both our teams on Ballet Nights and Lanterns Studio Theatre came together to start problem solving, and the results I am going to share with you over the next 3 days.

With Row H now gone (unless booked, in which case you will be upgraded!) it is time to get rows F and G in on the action, and I am pleased to share that we began work today on raising our seating rostrom and extending the walking area on both these levels.

Here is what happened on our very first day (of 2 I'm told.... which would be a record I'm sure!)

https://www.jamiellaurence.com/lanterns

Edited by Jamiel Devernay-Laurence
Add Gallery
  • Like 1

That’s terrific and it’s great that you are listening to your audiences ( more than the ROH currently do!) 

Am so glad you’ve managed to solve the problem presented by the theatre venue who probably have events on where seeing the feet are nowhere near as important as for ballet!! 

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

That’s terrific and it’s great that you are listening to your audiences ( more than the ROH currently do!) 

Am so glad you’ve managed to solve the problem presented by the theatre venue who probably have events on where seeing the feet are nowhere near as important as for ballet!! 

Actually LinMM the venue has primarily only catered for production rehearsals - the biggest in the world for Musical, film and dance - but none of these companies create anything for the local community and engagement for the youth taking part in the other dance and theatre classes at the school below.

Having a backer to remount Ballet Nights was step one, and we want more dance orgs to consider the venue for their performances, which suit mainly dance performances or Concerts.

BALLET NIGHTS presents a first run at providing the local community of South Quay and the Docklands living in high rise apartments something cultural outside of Tesco Extra, but also a way to show more Londoners how close the post covid Canary Wharf cosmopolitan community really is via the Elizabeth Line and Jubilee connections.

• Like 1

Yes when I went I got to Canary Wharf (easy) and just walked over a bridge and down to the theatre about 10-12 mins I seem to remember. 
There is a docklands station nearer but Canary Wharf is pretty accessible because of jubilee line so I chose that connection when I went. 
I hope I can get to your November performance 🙂

12 hours ago, LinMM said:

Yes when I went I got to Canary Wharf (easy) and just walked over a bridge and down to the theatre about 10-12 mins I seem to remember. 
There is a docklands station nearer but Canary Wharf is pretty accessible because of jubilee line so I chose that connection when I went. 
I hope I can get to your November performance 🙂

That one is gong to be a big ENB party! Don Q and a double Ivana :)

Glad you found the journey as simple as I'm preaching! ;) - Also do check out our new restaurant partnership with Hazev or hotel deal with Tribe Canary Wharf if you want to make a trip out of it.

J

• Like 1

DAY 2

A louder day today...!

With all of the equipment and parts now on site, our timber bases are now under construction, raising our penultimate row to the height of our rear row, before work begins on raising our rear row above that.

As with everything at Lanterns, many of our patrons have now offered to assist in getting the rostrum painted in time for the end of the week!

Here are the pics of the progress today:

DAY 3

A lick of paint!

After finishing the main body raise in the early hours, our workers got to work on fireproofing and painting the two new seating levels, with all that remains is reattaching the safety outlines. 

Here are the pics of the progress today:

• Like 1