Scottish Ballet principal ballerina Constance Devernay-Laurence leaves in June

I feel like this year we’re saying farewell to so many stars and valued artists! No doubt they will send along the official press release and also post on their website shortly, but the Scottish Ballet FB page has just informed me thus:

“In June we wave goodbye to one of our most cherished dancers, Constance Devernay-Laurence.

Constance joined Scottish Ballet in 2008 as a Guest Artist before being offered a permanent dancer position in 2009. She was promoted to Soloist in 2014 and to Principal in 2016. During her fifteen years with the company she has blown audiences and critics away with her powerhouse performances, no more so than with her recent unforgettable role as Swanhilda in Coppélia, a tour-de-force for which she has been nominated for a National Dance Award.” 

I loved seeing her in their production of MacMillan’s Le Baiser de la Fee as a guest company on the ROH Main Stage. She was a compelling and dramatic Fairy, the role created for Svetlana Beriosova, and it was lovely to see MacMillan’s choreography revived after many years. I remember seeing Christopher Hampson, Lauren Cuthbertson, Natalia Osipova, Marcelino Sambe, all watching that evening (there were probably other artists and luminaries in the auditorium but I didn’t have time to look!) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1