Ballet teacher training programs in the UK

WendyC74

Since my children were young I've assisted with admin and comms at a few smaller schools around north London / Hertford, but always dreamed of putting some of my own training into practice and teaching.

When my kids were young the only available option I had on my radar was RAD, although speaking to teachers at a school I help out at last night they were all very complimentary of the ISTD as they thought it would offer me a wider teaching experience with a better balance of theory and practical.

I'm aware that Elmhurst and Central also do two-year diplomas, but I'm worried that they seem a bit academic for me and more than I'll need for occasionally leading classes for younger children.

When I joined this site I was looking for more information about the RBS ATAP programme as I've known children at the school and I've been interested in recent discussions here about styles of teaching there. 

The choice is quite overwhelming, but I have some time on my hands and am keen to learn more. 

What experience does everybody have on these programmes and does the reputation of the school's teaching styles matter at this level?

Not sure what “level” you mean most childrens dancing schools have classes from 3-4 year olds to 16plus where a few students might be trying to get to vocational upper schools etc. 

So to me reputation of the teacher would be essential especially when looking at the older pupils. 
Obviously taking classes of 3-4 year olds has its own set of skills but profound knowledge of technique probably not one of them! 

But you definitely do need to know what you are talking about by the time pupils are getting to around grade 4 level and above. 

4 hours ago, WendyC74 said:

I'm aware that Elmhurst and Central also do two-year diplomas, but I'm worried that they seem a bit academic for me and more than I'll need for occasionally leading classes for younger children.

Im confused as to what 2 year diplomas you are referring to as according to their websites, neither Elmhurst or Central offer teacher training. 

https://elmhurstballetschool.org/en/dance/courses/

https://www.centralschoolofballet.co.uk/training/degree-courses/

Edited by Doing Dance 1
  • Like 1

My understanding of the RBS ATAP is that it is for currently qualified, practicing teachers who want to use the new RBS system, as a syllabus intheir private dance schools, I dont think it carries any teacher qualifications.

Elmhurst and Central do not do teacher training unless it is perhaps a small part of their dancer training programme.  

I have participated in several of the RBS iInspire seminars which are useful for expanding current knowledge but they also carry no accreditation. I dont think you have to be a qualified teacher to do those, but prior knowledge would be extremely useful.

Teacher training qualifications are generally run by the most well known syllibi: RAD, ISTD, IDTA, BBO, RBS (seperate course), there may be another one or 2 that I have missed. I recently completed my training with RAD but I teach ISTD at my current school. 

In my opinion it doesnt matter which one of these you know for teaching younger children, ultimately they all teach ballet at a level suitable for the age group. 

• Like 1