Ballet Ohne Grenzen Zurich Feb 03

So apologies for delay- it's been a busy week at work..

Final gala line up

part 1

Pas de deux Nutcracker choreo. Petipa Laura Fernandez-Gromova and Boris Zhurliov

Flashback choreo. Jivoy Yekaterina Chebykina and Oskar (sic) Frame

Pas de Deux Flames of Paris choreo. Evelina Godunova and Dmitry Zagrebin

Adagio White Swan choreo. Maria Beck and Xander Parish

Les Bourgeois choreo. Dino Tamazlacaru

Pas de Deux Flames of Paris choreo.Petipa Tatiana Melnik and Vladyslav Melnyk

Narcissus (was not on the printed prog so dont have notes I am sure you all know the chroeographer) Yago Gonzaga

Part 3

Closure choreo. Nunes Laura Fernandez-Gromova and Xander Parish

Pas de Deux Talisman choreo. Petipa Maria Beck and Boris Zhurilov

Pas de Deux Balcony Romeo and Juliet choreo. Yekaterina Chebykina and Oskar Frame

Adagio Cave Le Corsaire choreo. Holmes/Solymosi Tatiana Melnik and Vladyslav Melnyk

Pas de Deux Don Quixote choreo. Petipa Evelina Godunova and Dino Tamazlacaru

Ukranian Gopak Taras Bulba choreo. Dmitry Zagrebin

Variation Dying Swan choreo. Fokine Laura Fernandez-Gromova

So I don't really feel like I can be all that critical of dancers as I have so little experience, so I am only going to say who moved or delighted me (or DH) as what I know about technique would fit on the back of a postage stamp.. The only exception is 'Closure' (which I guess some of you may have seen at the Prix De Lausanne gala so be able to comment on) which for me was the dance equivalent of someone scraping their nails down a chalkboard. The juxtaposition of the choreography which felt sharp and staccato with the music which was rippling ands gentle just didn't work for me. Was it the piece or the dancers? I don't think I am qualified to tell, but it set my teeth on edge... 

What I really noticed I guess is how difficult it is to get any great joy as an audience member from a PDD when it is taken in isolation without the usual scaffolding of story, sets and dramatic arc unless the couple are able to project a strong emotional connection. Is it down to the ability of the individual dancer or of the combined partnership (or perhaps both- greater than the sum of their parts as they say) and does it require them to have danced together in the past? I don't know enough or have enough experience to know for sure. But to be honest only a few of the couples above really sparkled for me in that sense. Of course they all have the chops to do the moves, but without the emotion it's like watching paint dry (ok well maybe not quite that bad, but you get the idea).

So my personal favourites were Chebykina and Frame - both pieces were incredible. Of course I have a vested interest but I am also my kid's worst critic (only in my head though, I hasten to add) so I don't think my bias would forgive a dull performance. I was amazed at how their interpretation of Flashback differed so much from the original despite being the same choreography- Katya radiated such sorrow and despair Vs the original's edge-of-nervous-breakdown-any-minute-now-the-knives-are-coming-out-and-your-bunny-is-already-in-the-pot ....  It felt much more like a portrait of misery and regret than anger and conflict. The original male dancer felt dismissive and cold whereas from Oscar I felt only grief and sadness. The audience held their breath- and the applause was huge (considering it was only second piece and they weren't all that 'warmed up'). Stunning.

Their Romeo and Juliet was just a delight (rather ironic that the break up came before the get together in the running order) and Katya is such a graceful and elegant dancer- what beautiful vaganova arms and incredible extension (I am sure her legs and arms on stage are a good foot longer than in real life!)- the love radiated from the 2 of them...and such sweet small gestures- a loving glance following a hand movement, a small look between them- it was these little things more than the big moves that made this piece so special...

Equally good were Tatiana Melnik and Valdyslav and Melnyk- what a delight in both their pieces - fierce, energetic, connected like two halves of the same person. Immaculate partnering, timing, musicality- they just flew across the stage radiating happiness. Truly a joy to watch.

Godunova and Zagrebin were charming in Flames of Paris- lively and engaging.

Some of the others (Narcissus, Bourgeois, Taras Bulba) I very much enjoyed - perhaps this shown it's easier to convince in a solo piece as a one off, compared to a PDD when you haven't had much rehearsal time together?

DS really rated Maria Beck's White Swan- I was less convinced because I didn't really feel the partnering (just felt a little disconnected between the two of them) but agree she was flawless (well, insomuch as I can tell which is a pretty amateurish opinion)

Don Q I feel obliged to say was a big audience favourite- I wasn't quite so taken with it- for me Dinu didn't exude quite enough chutzpah although his athleticism and technique is not in doubt... 

All the rest were done technically brilliantly as far as I could tell but, whilst impressive, didn't really make me hold my breath.

Sorry I do have a little film of the end in which the dancers came on one at a time and did a little flourish but I'm not sure how to upload it as it's a huge file. If anyone can tell me how I will add later.

Edited by CeliB
clarity
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I saw Oscar got to dance the Prince in Nutcracker in that recent run he’s doing so well since he joined this Company!! 
I get most of my info from the Georgian State Ballet Facebook page where they seem to post hundreds of photos!! 
A pity the Royals Cesar Corrales is currently injured ….as a former Prix prize winner he would have been terrific in Don Q plenty of fire and fun in his dancing when required!! 
The above gala I don’t suppose was filmed? 

• Like 1

It was filmed (we spoke briefly to the cameraman at the after party) but I'm not sure what the plan is for that film. They took a few minutes of each performance (not the whole thing) and lots of photos but I've only seen a few pics/bits of film that people in the audience have put on instagram, nothing official

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1