Ukrainian Classical Ballet (touring company) - anyone seen them yet?

Hi everyone,

my German hometown of about 70 000 people usually doesn't see any ballet performances at all (aside from the ROH cinema screenings that I always watch there!), but today I was in town and saw an advertisement for a performance held in February at the city hall. It is Swan Lake, which I have seen by the RB and the Mariinsky so far (impossible to top, I know).

Tickets are around 60 euros for good seats, which is about half of what I would pay for a good seat at a renowned company and of course, I would not have any travel costs. Still, I only want to go if it's a decent quality production in terms of the quality of dancing, music, stage/costumes and so on. Otherwise I'll just wait for April, when I'm going to London to see Cinderella!😍🤩

So I wanted to ask if anyone here has had any experience with this company yet? I did a bit of googling, but without many results...

• Like 3

If you mean the United Ukraine Ballet (?) they toured Australia last October its pretty easy to find reviews online,

they seem pretty favourable. Katya (who danced odette/odile) had just been made first soloist at Mariinsky when Russia invaded if that gives you an idea of dancer quality. I dont know if she is planning on dancing for them if Feb but I can ask (if that makes a difference) 😊

https://www.theaureview.com/arts/dance-review-the-united-ukrainian-ballet-swan-lake/

https://bachtrack.com/review-swan-lake-chebykina-kniazkov-united-ukrainian-ballet-sydney-october-2022

Edited by CeliB
To clarify whether I am talking about the same company as you are!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 27/01/2023 at 18:25, rosefairy said:

Hi everyone,

my German hometown of about 70 000 people usually doesn't see any ballet performances at all (aside from the ROH cinema screenings that I always watch there!), but today I was in town and saw an advertisement for a performance held in February at the city hall. It is Swan Lake, which I have seen by the RB and the Mariinsky so far (impossible to top, I know).

Tickets are around 60 euros for good seats, which is about half of what I would pay for a good seat at a renowned company and of course, I would not have any travel costs. Still, I only want to go if it's a decent quality production in terms of the quality of dancing, music, stage/costumes and so on. Otherwise I'll just wait for April, when I'm going to London to see Cinderella!😍🤩

So I wanted to ask if anyone here has had any experience with this company yet? I did a bit of googling, but without many results...

Which town or theatre are they visiting, rosefairy? Or would you have a link that you can post for us to see who they are? If it’s United Ukrainian Ballet, they are very good (and not just their guest principals). Am guessing this is a different company? I’m sure there are new companies from Ukraine set up recently to tour abroad (so you may not find reviews on Google if they are very new) because their homeland is being currently being invaded and bombed, which makes theatre performances potentially unsafe for audiences and performers. I would be interested in seeing them as Ukraine produces so many excellent dancers,  but unfortunately can’t travel to Germany.

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

On 27/01/2023 at 18:25, rosefairy said:

Hi everyone,

I found a few articles, videos and that increasingly useful invention, the Facebook page, for the company. They look like an enterprising, spunky independent group led by a young dancer, Ivan Zhuravlov. They used to tour mainly Croatia and Romania, but since the invasion, have had invitations from (I suppose) supportive theatre administrators in Italy and in Barcelona - the venerated Palau de Musica Catalonia, no less (a very prestigious and gorgeous concert hall but one which does not generally host ballet), who gave them spare slots in December and January not pre-booked for orchestras or recitals already, so they did 3 performances of Nutcracker a month apart, and then a week apart, with recorded music for practical reasons: Palau de Musica doesn’t have enough room to fit an orchestra in as their orchestras don’t usually have to share a stage with a corps de ballet of snowflakes or dancing mice and soldiers. 😉

They look like a resourceful and talented group of dancers with a sound technical base and great artistry.  I’d like to see them!  I wouldn’t be expecting expensive sets and props- indeed given the circumstances I wouldn’t expect any sets at all. If a UK theatre were able to invite them to perform in the UK, I would certainly book tickets. Would be interested to hear reports from Germany if you or anyone else on the forum sees them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Sim @CeliB @Emeralds

Sorry for the late reply - it's exam season and I'm busy with presentations, essays etc. (needless to say I procrastinated a lot this week by watching Prix de Lausanne livestreams😅😂) so I just saw the replies now.

No, it's not United Ukrainian Ballet - I found a lot of information about them online so I wouldn't have asked here! This company is the one Emeralds described, led by Ivan Zhuravlov. I found the Facebook page too, only for me as a really new, inexperienced ballet-goer, there still wasn't quite enough information to find there, for example I didn't find a list of all company members or short biographies of the company members. These often help me since they show which schools the dancers went to, in which style they were trained and how much experience they have. For example, I was really surprised when I looked at some other touring company about 2-3 years ago online (State Ballet of Russia or something along those lines) and found out they had multiple Vaganova graduates on the roster! Unfortunately didn't end up seeing them live but I'm sure they were great too.

@Emeralds I've decided now that I'm going to give it a go! The performance is on Valentines Day at the city hall of Aschaffenburg, Bavaria (my hometown). They are also touring to many other midsized German towns in February and March, so maybe someone else on the Forum will have the chance to go as well. I will definitely report later on that week!

• Like 3

Enjoy it, Rosefairy, and do please let us know what you think.  I loved the United Ukrainian Ballet when I saw them here in London last year, and I am sure that the Ukrainian Classical Ballet will also be very good.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, rosefairy said:

@Sim @CeliB @Emeralds

Sorry for the late reply - it's exam season and I'm busy with presentations, essays etc. (needless to say I procrastinated a lot this week by watching Prix de Lausanne livestreams😅😂) so I just saw the replies now.

No, it's not United Ukrainian Ballet - I found a lot of information about them online so I wouldn't have asked here! This company is the one Emeralds described, led by Ivan Zhuravlov. I found the Facebook page too, only for me as a really new, inexperienced ballet-goer, there still wasn't quite enough information to find there, for example I didn't find a list of all company members or short biographies of the company members. These often help me since they show which schools the dancers went to, in which style they were trained and how much experience they have. For example, I was really surprised when I looked at some other touring company about 2-3 years ago online (State Ballet of Russia or something along those lines) and found out they had multiple Vaganova graduates on the roster! Unfortunately didn't end up seeing them live but I'm sure they were great too.

@Emeralds I've decided now that I'm going to give it a go! The performance is on Valentines Day at the city hall of Aschaffenburg, Bavaria (my hometown). They are also touring to many other midsized German towns in February and March, so maybe someone else on the Forum will have the chance to go as well. I will definitely report later on that week!

Eagerly awaiting your review, rosefairy! I think they will be very special. PS best of luck with your exams! 

• Like 1