Whitelodge Summer School 2023

Laura_ballet

4 hours ago, Thelittleswans said:

I am applying for my daughter today and wondered if anyone has any insights to share on WL summer intensives ? What is on the timetable? What to expect…

Dd (15) went  last year for 1 week and really enjoyed it.

she says she remembers having 4 classes of around 1.5 hrs length. Lunch in the middle and snacks in between each. Ballet every day, solos and Rep a few times, pointe a few times, contemporary and jazz once or twice in the week. Ends with a parent’s presentation on the Friday. Overall a very good experience 

Pretty similar to @Dancingpotato, although my DC was in a younger age group. A mix of classes throughout the day, always ballet and then things like national, a bit of yoga etc mixed in. Classes are not tiny but at 10 or 11 that wasn't something we were focussed on, I saw it more as a chance for DC to decide if they liked the environment, being away from home for a week and dorm life in general. 

In the evenings the houseparents organised things like a scavenger hunt, a tiktok challenge and a disco I think on the last night. DC has enjoyed it two years in a row. 

Speaking as a parent who’s daughter went at 9, and some years ago, I can offer the following insight.

First, as you’ll know, your child will need to be regularly attending a ballet class, and will need a recommendation/reference from his/her teacher and will need photos as specified in the entry form.

Second, It’s a fun week away and will give your child an idea of what to expect if they intend applying for a full time place, probably as a boarder, at White Lodge at 11 or older.

Third, if your child shows well during the week, it may just help if you and they decide to apply for a full time place (although thoughts of that are more than a little premature) at 11 or later.

Good luck

• Like 1