Level 6 Diploma in Professional Dance

BaffledBalletMum

I am trying to understand how the Level 6 Diploma in Professional Dance is earned over the three years at Upper School. If a dancer enters upper school in Year 12 (or Y1 of Upper School) and completes three years of upper school (through year 14 or the graduate year) I understand a Level 6 Diploma is awarded. Apparently, if a dancer joins the upper school at Year 13 (or Y2), a Level 5 Diploma may be earned. What happens if a dancer leaves the Upper School after completing Year 12 and 13, and goes to dance in company instead of doing the graduate year? Can that dancer still earn the Level 5 Diploma, and work towards a Bachelors of Arts "top off" at University? I understand that both ENB and Elmhurst students received Diplomas through Trinity College and can then pursue the BA through Middlesex University as part of a distance learning program? Apparently, RBS offers a similar program. I would like to know more specifically about those schools, but would interested in learning how any upper schools approach the Professional Dance Diploma to Bachelor's of Arts degree. TIA

Your name says it all!!! Ha ha! It is all so confusing & ambiguous  so research & asking questions is key….

We discovered that you have to be enrolled on either the Level 5 or the Level 6. 
If enrolled only on Level 6 you need to complete the 3 years. If there is a risk DC might leave after 2, ensure they are registered on Level 5 to get a Diploma otherwise they could leave with nothing. I worried about the drop out rats with injuries/change of ambitions etc so asked these Q….had to do a lot of digging to truly understand. So, sign up for level 5 & get that diploma after 2 years (if work & modules completed to satisfactory standards of course) If then stay on for third year you can re-register for Level 6. This will incur an additional fee. 
Not all the schools that offer Level 6 actually offer Level 5 (check on Trinity website) - I guess as the expectation will be to complete 3 years. 
What is also surprising is that the Level 5 is deemed suitable prior learning to straight away enter for one year top up degree (eg. Middlesex/Laine) 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

Your name says it all!!! Ha ha! It is all so confusing & ambiguous  so research & asking questions is key….

We discovered that you have to be enrolled on either the Level 5 or the Level 6. 
If enrolled only on Level 6 you need to complete the 3 years. If there is a risk DC might leave after 2, ensure they are registered on Level 5 to get a Diploma otherwise they could leave with nothing. I worried about the drop out rats with injuries/change of ambitions etc so asked these Q….had to do a lot of digging to truly understand. So, sign up for level 5 & get that diploma after 2 years (if work & modules completed to satisfactory standards of course) If then stay on for third year you can re-register for Level 6. This will incur an additional fee. 
Not all the schools that offer Level 6 actually offer Level 5 (check on Trinity website) - I guess as the expectation will be to complete 3 years. 
What is also surprising is that the Level 5 is deemed suitable prior learning to straight away enter for one year top up degree (eg. Middlesex/Laine) 

Great advice! If its one thing I have learned as a dance mum it is that --  you never know what might happen! tysm

Edited by BaffledBalletMum
  • Like 1