Press Release: English National Ballet presents Ek / Forsythe / Quagebeur at Sadler's Wells from 9-12 November

English National Ballet
Ek / Forsythe / Quagebeur 
Sadler’s Wells, London 
Wednesday 9 - Saturday 12 November 2022
www.ballet.org.uk/ek-forsythe-quagebeur

This autumn, English National Ballet returns to Sadler’s Wells from 9 - 12 Novemberwith a new triple bill celebrating creativity and innovation, including the World Premiere of The Rite of Spring by Mats Ek, his first new creation for the Company. 

Set to Stravinsky’s iconic, visceral score, played live by English National Ballet Philharmonic, Mats Ek’s new version of The Rite of Spring sees 20 dancers portray an extended family at the scene of a ritualised wedding. Ek’s distinctive choreographic style is combined with costume and set designs by Marie-Louise Ekman and lighting by Linus Fellbom. 

Of The Rite of Spring, Mats Ek said:“Throughout my career, Stravinsky’s extraordinary score has always had a powerful impact on me. I am thrilled that with this new work I have the opportunity to return to this score to realise its full potential. I am thankful to Tamara and everyone at English National Ballet for allowing me the opportunity to create a new Rite of Spring and I am thrilled to share it with audiences on stage at Sadler’s Wells this autumn.” 

Alongside The Rite of Spring is William Forsythe’s Blake Works I, first performed by English National Ballet to much acclaim earlier this spring. This soulful piece for 21 dancers is set to seven songs from singer-songwriter James Blake’s album The Colour in Anything. A brilliant combination of solos, duets and intricate group formations, Blake Works I is a masterclass in precision and a joyous display of classical ballet technique and vocabulary.  

Completing the programme is Take Five Blues by First Artist and Associate Choreographer Stina Quagebeur. Originally created for English National Ballet’s digital season in 2020, this newly expanded version sees the dancers take to the stage to perform “a heady waltz of grand jetés and pirouettes” (Evening Standard) to a soundtrack of contemporary jazz and classical music. 

Of the evening, English National Ballet’s Artistic Director, Tamara Rojo CBE said“I am thrilled to bring this evening of trailblazing works to the stage and present the world premiere of The Rite of Spring by Mats Ek. Throughout my tenure, I have looked to expand the company’s repertoire to include a range of creative voices that represent the diversity of our artform. I am so pleased that we can now add Mats Ek’s name to that long list. He is a master choreographer with a long history of creating ground-breaking, impactful and lasting works and it has been an honour to welcome him into the studio to work with us. I can’t wait for audiences to witness the results of this on stage alongside works by William Forsythe and our very own Stina Quagebeur.” 

-ENDS- 

English National Ballet is grateful for the generous grant it has been awarded through the Government's Culture Recovery Fund, which allows it to continue to create, perform and serve its audiences.

Notes to Editors

English National Ballet is a National Portfolio Organisation supported by Arts Council England. 

Ballymore is Principal Building Partner of English National Ballet.

About English National Ballet
English National Ballet has a long and distinguished history. Founded in 1950 as London Festival Ballet by the great English Dancers Alicia Markova and Anton Dolin, it has been at the forefront of ballet's growth and evolution ever since.

English National Ballet brings world-class ballet to the widest possible audience through live performances across the UK and on eminent international stages; its digital platforms Ballet on Demand and BalletActive; its distinguished orchestra, English National Ballet Philharmonic; and being a UK leader in creative learning and engagement practice, building innovative partnerships to deliver flagship programmes such as English National Ballet's Dance for Parkinson's.

Under the artistic directorship of Tamara Rojo CBE, English National Ballet has introduced ground-breaking new works to the Company's repertoire whilst continuing to honour the tradition of great classical ballet, gaining acclaim for artistic excellence and creativity. 2019 saw English National Ballet enter a new chapter in its history when it moved into a purpose-built state-of-the-art home in east London, Mulryan Centre for Dance, bringing a renewed commitment to, and freedom for, creativity, ambition, and connection to more people, near and far, than ever before. www.ballet.org.uk  

About Arts Council England 
Arts Council England is the national development agency for creativity and culture. We have set out our strategic vision in Let's Create that by 2030 we want England to be a country in which the creativity of each of us is valued and given the chance to flourish and where everyone of us has access to a remarkable range of high quality cultural experiences. We invest public money from Government and The National Lottery to help support the sector and to deliver this vision. 
www.artscouncil.org.uk

Following the Covid-19 crisis, the Arts Council developed a £160 million Emergency Response Package with nearly 90% coming from the National Lottery, for organisations and individuals needing support. We are also one of several bodies administering the Government's Culture Recovery Fund and unprecedented support package of £1.57 billion for the culture and heritage sector. Find out more at www.artscouncil.org.uk/covid19   

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

And the casting announcement:

English National Ballet
Ek / Forsythe / Quagebeur 
Sadler’s Wells, London 
Wednesday 9 - Saturday 12 November 2022

www.ballet.org.uk/ek-forsythe-quagebeur

English National Ballet today announces casting for its new triple bill celebrating creativity and innovation, at Sadler’s Wells from 9 – 12 November. The programme for the evening includes the World Premiere of The Rite of Spring by Mats Ek, alongside Blake Works I by William Forsythe and Stina Quagebeur’s Take Five Blues. 

Principal casting for Mats Ek’s The Rite of Spring sees Lead Principal Erina Takahashiand Soloist Precious Adams perform in the role of the Mother, First Soloists James Streeter and Fabian Reimair perform in the role of the Father, Junior Soloist Emily Suzuki and Artist of the Company Breanna Foad perform as the Daughter and Lead Principal Francesco Gabriele Frola and Soloist Fernando Carratalá Coloma perform as the Bridegroom. 

Performing in the lead roles for William Forsythe’s Blake Works I are Lead Principal Francesco Gabriele Frola, Principals Aitor Arrieta and Emma Hawes, First Soloists Katja Khaniukova and Junor Souza, Soloists Francesco Carratala Coloma, Haruhi Otani and Erik Woolhouse, Junior Soloist Emily Suzuki, First Artists Ivana Bueno and Angela Wood, and Artist of the Company Eric Snyder. 

Take Five Blues by English National Ballet’s Associate Choreographer Stina Quagebeur sees First Soloists Katja Khaniukova and Ken Saruhashi, Junior Soloist Lorenzo Trossello, First Artists Matthew Astley, Henry Dowden, Angela Wood, and Rhys Antoni Yeomans, and Artists of the Company Claire Barrett, Giorgio Garrett, Chloe Keneally, Hamish Longley, Jose Menchón and Archie Sullivan perform in the lead roles. 

Principal casting for Ek / Forsythe / Quagebeur 
Casting is subject to change, please see www.ballet.org.uk for up to date casting information 

Wednesday 9 November, 7.30pm (press night) 

The Rite of Spring by Mats Ek (In the order of Mother, Father, Daughter, Bridegroom)
Erina Takahashi, James Streeter, Emily Suzuki, Fernando Carratalá Coloma

Blake Works I by William Forsythe
Aitor Arrieta, Francesco Carratala Coloma, Emma Hawes, Emily Suzuki, Angela Wood, Erik Woolhouse
Take Five Blues by Stina Quagebeur 
Matthew Astley, Henry Dowden, Katja Khaniukova, Jose Menchón, Ken Saruhashi, Lorenzo Trossello, Angela Wood, TBC

Thursday 10 November, 2.30pm 
The Rite of Spring by Mats Ek (In the order of Mother, Father, Daughter, Bridegroom)
Precious Adams, Fabian Reimair, Breanna Foad, Francesco Gabriele Frola

Ivana Bueno, Francesco Gabriele Frola, Katja Khaniukova, Haruhi Otani, Eric Snyder, Junor Souza
Claire Barrett, Giorgio Garrett, Chloe Keneally, Hamish Longley, Jose Menchón, Archie Sullivan, Rhys Antoni Yeomans, TBC

Thursday 10 November, 7.30pm 
The Rite of Spring by Mats Ek (In the order of Mother, Father, Daughter, Bridegroom

Aitor Arrieta, Francesco Carratala Coloma, Emma Hawes, Emily Suzuki, Angela Wood, Erik Woolhouse

Matthew Astley, Henry Dowden, Katja Khaniukova, Jose Menchón, Ken Saruhashi, Lorenzo Trossello, Angela Wood, TBC

Friday 11 November, 7.30pm 

The Rite of Spring by Mats Ek (In the order of Mother, Father, Daughter, Bridegroom

Saturday 12 November, 2.30pm 

Ivana Bueno, Francesco Gabriele Frola, Katja Khaniukova, Haruhi Otani, Eric Snyder, Junor Souza

Claire Barrett, Giorgio Garrett, Chloe Keneally, Hamish Longley, Jose Menchón, Archie Sullivan, Rhys Antoni Yeomans, TBC

Saturday 12 November, 7.30pm 

English National Ballet is grateful for the generous grant it has been awarded through the Government's Culture Recovery Fund, which allows it to continue to create, perform and serve its audiences.

Notes to Editors
English National Ballet is a National Portfolio Organisation supported by Arts Council England. 
Ballymore is Principal Building Partner of English National Ballet.

About English National Ballet
English National Ballet has a long and distinguished history. Founded in 1950 as London Festival Ballet by the great English Dancers Alicia Markova and Anton Dolin, it has been at the forefront of ballet's growth and evolution ever since.

English National Ballet brings world-class ballet to the widest possible audience through live performances across the UK and on eminent international stages; its digital platforms Ballet on Demand and BalletActive; its distinguished orchestra, English National Ballet Philharmonic; and being a UK leader in creative learning and engagement practice, building innovative partnerships to deliver flagship programmes such as English National Ballet's Dance for Parkinson's.

Under the artistic directorship of Tamara Rojo CBE, English National Ballet has introduced ground-breaking new works to the Company's repertoire whilst continuing to honour the tradition of great classical ballet, gaining acclaim for artistic excellence and creativity. 2019 saw English National Ballet enter a new chapter in its history when it moved into a purpose-built state-of-the-art home in east London, Mulryan Centre for Dance, bringing a renewed commitment to, and freedom for, creativity, ambition, and connection to more people, near and far, than ever before. www.ballet.org.uk  

About Arts Council England 
Arts Council England is the national development agency for creativity and culture. We have set out our strategic vision in Let's Create that by 2030 we want England to be a country in which the creativity of each of us is valued and given the chance to flourish and where everyone of us has access to a remarkable range of high quality cultural experiences. We invest public money from Government and The National Lottery to help support the sector and to deliver this vision.

Following the Covid-19 crisis, the Arts Council developed a £160 million Emergency Response Package with nearly 90% coming from the National Lottery, for organisations and individuals needing support. We are also one of several bodies administering the Government's Culture Recovery Fund and unprecedented support package of £1.57 billion for the culture and heritage sector. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2