Press Release: English National Ballet Announces Winners of Emerging Dancer 2022

English National Ballet Announces Winners of Emerging Dancer 2022

English National Ballet is pleased to announce that the winner of the 2022 Emerging Dancer Award is Eric Snyder.

Emerging Dancer 2022 winner Eric Snyder (c) Photography by ASH (3).jpg

Photo caption: The 2022 Emerging Dancer Award winner Eric Snyder.

Having performed a pas de deux from The Sleeping Beauty and Cha Cha and Tiara, a new contemporary piece choreographed by Rentaro Nakaaki, with his partner Chloe Keneally, Eric was announced as the winner during the worldwide broadcast of the event from the Holloway Production Studio at English National Ballet’s home, The Mulryan Centre for Dance this evening (Thursday 19 May 2022). 

Of winning the 2022 Emerging Dancer Award, Eric said: “I really am so grateful for this. A big thank you to my mentors James and Shiori who were a rock for both me and my beautiful, amazing partner Chloe. Thank you to those who nominated me and the panel for what they saw in me. My Mom arranged a huge viewing party back home, it’s so special to know they have been watching!”

The evening also saw Emilia Cadorin named as the recipient of the Corps de Ballet Award, acknowledging her exceptional work over the last year, while Precious Adams was awarded the People’s Choice Award, as voted for by members of the public throughout the season.

Of winning the 2022 Corps de Ballet Award, Emilia said“I really was not expecting this! I want to thank my colleagues who inspire me to improve every day.”

Of winning the 2022 People’s Choice Award, Precious said“This is a real surprise, it is great to receive this recognition! Since Covid every performance has felt so precious and I am honoured to have that acknowledged by the audience”

Emerging Dancer 2022 is supported by CHANEL, extending the House’s 100-year legacy of cultural engagement to imagine the next. The annual event allows English National Ballet to recognise the excellence of its artists. This year’s judging panel included Dana Fouras, Céline Gittens, Kamara Gray, Tamara Rojo CBE, Sir Alistair Spalding CBE and Joseph Toonga,

Tamara Rojo CBE, Artistic Director of English National Ballet said: Emerging Dancer is a fantastic opportunity to celebrate the bright future of ballet. Watching this incredible showcase of the immense talent among the Company’s rising stars is always a joy and a privilege. The talent and skill we saw on stage tonight was extraordinary. Eric showed beautiful qualities in both the classical and contemporary pieces. He is a dancer with enormous potential, and I am delighted this was seen by the jury who agreed unanimously on this year’s winner. Huge congratulations to all the finalists for an evening of fantastic performances.”

The other finalists this year were Matthew Astley, Ashley Coupal, Noam Durand, Chloe Keneally and Angela Wood.

English National Ballet Philharmonic performed live throughout the evening and the event, which was hosted by radio presenter Jordan Lee, finished with a pas de deux from Le Corsaire performed by the reigning Emerging Dancer winner Ivana Bueno and People’s Choice Victor Prigent. 

A full recording of the broadcast will be available on English National Ballet’s YouTube channel for the next 30 days.

-ENDS- 

English National Ballet is grateful for the generous grant it has been awarded through the Government's Culture Recovery Fund, which allows it to continue to create, perform and serve its audiences.

Notes to Editors

Emerging Dancer supported by CHANEL.

The People's Choice Award is supported by Alexis and Frances Prenn.

The Corps de Ballet Award is supported by Sue and Graeme Sloan.

English National Ballet is a National Portfolio Organisation supported by Arts Council England. 

Ballymore is Principal Building Partner of English National Ballet.

About English National Ballet 
English National Ballet has a long and distinguished history. Founded in 1950 as London Festival Ballet by the great English Dancers Alicia Markova and Anton Dolin, it has been at the forefront of ballet's growth and evolution ever since.

English National Ballet brings world-class ballet to the widest possible audience through live performances across the UK and on eminent international stages; its digital platforms Ballet on Demand and BalletActive; its distinguished orchestra, English National Ballet Philharmonic; and being a UK leader in creative learning and engagement practice, building innovative partnerships to deliver flagship programmes such as English National Ballet's Dance for Parkinson's.

Under the artistic directorship of Tamara Rojo CBE, English National Ballet has introduced ground-breaking new works to the Company's repertoire whilst continuing to honour the tradition of great classical ballet, gaining acclaim for artistic excellence and creativity. 2019 saw English National Ballet enter a new chapter in its history when it moved into a purpose-built state-of-the-art home in east London, Mulryan Centre for Dance, bringing a renewed commitment to, and freedom for, creativity, ambition, and connection to more people, near and far, than ever before. www.ballet.org.uk 

About Arts Council England 
Arts Council England is the national development agency for creativity and culture. We have set out our strategic vision in Let's Create that by 2030 we want England to be a country in which the creativity of each of us is valued and given the chance to flourish and where everyone of us has access to a remarkable range of high quality cultural experiences. We invest public money from Government and The National Lottery to help support the sector and to deliver this vision. 
www.artscouncil.org.uk

Following the Covid-19 crisis, the Arts Council developed a £160 million Emergency Response Package with nearly 90% coming from the National Lottery, for organisations and individuals needing support. We are also one of several bodies administering the Government's Culture Recovery Fund and unprecedented support package of £1.57 billion for the culture and heritage sector. Find out more at www.artscouncil.org.uk/covid19