The covid effect

SplitSoul

I am just wondering what people think.

Will there be:

a) more applicants for JA (or whatever level) this year, because covid caused a backlog

OR

b) fewer applicants because covid has caused kids to lose interest/not progress/lose fitness etc?

You pose an interesting question @Elz and I am too far removed to have any idea of the answer.

But my suggestion would be not to worry about this kind of thing. If you have a child or student ready to apply for JA (or whatever) this year...put in that application...take the chance... and accept (as in any other year) this may be your time...or it may be 'not this time'.

Let's make sure Covid isn't a reason to constrain the ambition of future generations of artists.

• Like 6

In our school we found that kids who were not particularly talented and danced for a hobby, because they simply enjoyed it or because their friends went or whatever, discovered during the pandemic that there were other ways of spending their spare time than dancing every day after school and so gave up.  However, the more serious students have kept going - I suppose Covid divided them up into two natural groups of those for whom dancing is the same as breathing - a necessity- and those who dance because their mums sent them to ballet class when they were little and they just stayed.   So in answer to your question I believe that the pandemic has not significantly affected those students who would apply for Associate programmes and that they will still apply for them.   However it may well be that it has affected the standards of technique - at least I can see it has in our school.  Hopefully this can be revereed over time..........?.

• Like 3