Press Release: UK PREMIERE Wild Card: Christopher Matthews / formed view my body’s an exhibition at Sadler's Wells

U2FkbGVyJ3MgV2VsbHMgUHJlc3MgUmVsZWFzZSBIZWFkZXIuanBn

UK PREMIERE 
Wild Card: Christopher Matthews / formed view
my body’s an exhibition 
Friday 25 – Saturday 26 June 2021 
Tickets: £20 
Ticket Office: www.sadlerswells.com  

Choreographer and performance artist Christopher Matthews curates my body’s an exhibition at Sadler’s Wells on Friday 25 and Saturday 26 June. In this immersive event, multidisciplinary installations are scattered throughout the building in the foyers, studios, stages and backstage spaces, and explore themes of gender, class structure, intersections of the classical and contemporary, icon vs self and pop culture.

my body’s an exhibition presents over 22 works by international performance makers and artists in the form of video, photography, collage, sound, light, text and live movement installations.

Taking the Janet Jackson lyrics “my body’s an exhibition baby” from the song Feedback (2008) as inspiration, audiences are invited to explore the role of the spectator when observing the body as an object, as well as how bodies are seen, and what it means to be seen. Alongside this, Matthews asks how history and popular culture collide, or coincide. 

The event includes the world premiere of Matthews’ own work My Body’s Number 1 as well as his work for gallery spaces, Lads. The event will also include a new work by Matthews, inspired by Sadler’s Wells’ history in pop culture. Additional contributing artists include Phoebe Berglund, Bhenji Ra, Fenia Kotsopoulou, John Philip Sage, Songhay Toldon, Nasheeka Nedsreal and Myrid Carten, all of whom will be making their Sadler’s Wells debut.

Christopher Matthews said: “As a performer, I have had the privilege to perform in theatres like Sadler’s Wells and now I am excited to have the opportunity to be showing my own work here, as well as inviting such wonderful artists I respect.” 

Producer, Robyn Cabaret said: "
For two nights only, Sadler’s Wells is given over to Christopher Matthews who curates the latest edition of Wild Card. In our reopening season we grant audiences exclusive access to parts of the building not usually seen. This immersive and expansive collection of over 22 multidisciplinary works will give audiences the chance to engage with a different approach to form and the framing of dance.”

Christopher Matthews is an American-born choreographer and performance artist working from London. He holds a BFA from New York University Tisch School of the Arts and an MA in Choreography from Trinity Laban. His video and performance works have been presented in Art Night 2018, Victoria & Albert Museum, Enclave Gallery, Arbyte Gallery, ]performance space[, LimaZulu, And what? queer Art(ist) Now 4BID Gallery (Amsterdam), Mount Florida Gallery (Glasgow), Castlefield Gallery (Manchester), Millennium (NYC) Reykjavik Dance Festival, Cent Quatre (Paris), MCLA Gallery 51 (Mass) Villa Empain (Brussels) and Loop Video Art Festival (Barcelona), Prismn Contemporary (Blackburn), Thessaloniki Queer Arts Festival (Greece), SVOX.tv. His dance works have been performed in NYC, Guatemala, Germany, Taiwan, Spain, London and Edinburgh. Matthews’ “Untitled Video Portrait (radio edit)” won 1st Prize at the Choreographic Captures Competition with New Adventures and his films have been in distribution across cinemas in Germany and Switzerland. As a performer, he is touring with Trajal Harrell and is a guest performer for the Schauspielhaus Zurich. Matthews was a judge and contemporary choreographer on the popular Angolan dance reality series Bounce. He has been a featured contestant on various reality shows in the USA and UK. He has choreographed and directed music videos for Erickatoure Aviance and Angolan artist Coreon Du. Matthews was South East Dance / Brighton Digital Festival (BDF) artist 2019. He was CreativeWorks London Entrepreneur in Residence with Roehampton University in 2012 and Dance Artist in Residence at the Southbank Centre and completed a residency in Zagreb through Wild Card Jardin D’Europe Award. 

Co-Produced by Sadler’s Wells and Christopher Matthews 

- ENDS - 

NOTES TO EDITORS 

About Sadler’s Wells  
Sadler's Wells is a world-leading dance organisation, committed to producing, commissioning and presenting new works and to bringing the best domestic and international dance to UK and worldwide audiences. Under the Artistic Directorship of Alistair Spalding, the theatre’s acclaimed year-round programme spans dance of every kind, from contemporary to flamenco, Bollywood to ballet, salsa to street dance and tango to tap. 

Audiences of over half a million come to Sadler’s Wells’ three London theatres each year, with many more enjoying its touring productions at venues across the UK and around the world and accessing its content through its Digital Stage. Sadler's Wells commissions, produces and presents more dance than any other theatre in the world, embracing the popular and the unknown. Since 2005, it has helped to bring over 180 new dance works to the stage, many of them involving its 16 Associate Artists, three Resident Companies and four Associate Companies – the most exciting talents working in dance today. 

Sadler’s Wells’ own productions have toured to some of the most prestigious theatres and festivals around the world, such as the Sydney Opera House, the Lincoln Center’s White Light Festival in New York, and the National Centre for Performing Arts in Beijing. 

Sadler’s Wells also nurtures the next generation of talent through a range of artist development initiatives including its New Wave Associates programmes, its Wild Card initiative and the National Youth Dance Company. A further 30,000 individuals take part in its learning and engagement programmes each year. 

During the Covid-19 crisis, Sadler’s Wells has continued to connect with global audiences through its Digital Stage, an online programme of performances and workshops for people to watch at home. Since 27 March 2020, the programme has been enjoyed by audiences all over the world, generating over 5 million video views globally. 

Sadler’s Wells is an Arts Council National Portfolio Organisation and currently receives approximately 10% of its revenue from Arts Council England. www.sadlerswells.com 

Sadler’s Wells social media handles: 
Facebook: @SadlersWells 
Twitter: @Sadlers_Wells 
Instagram: @sadlers_wells 
YouTube: Sadler’s Wells Theatre 

About formed view
formed view is an agreement, open collective or framework Matthews usually works in. As the artist, Matthews shapes the experience for the visitor, but feels it is a choreography that involves other artists and the visitor in order for the work to be performed. formed view is a way for Matthews to acknowledge that contract and not claim sole responsibility and/or credit for the work present under this name. 
www.formedview.com