Press Release: Artistic Director of Birmingham Repertory Theatre, Sean Foley, announces the Autumn Season programme, marking 50 years of the theatre on Centenary Square

Jan McNulty

-327Q2mY8p7Ppvw4r3UVjxLRw9xkCOguUbrLZ--HCkk8Ea-yNdhbKddsvHdw7dXUtsq9VKRkOB7jyQbIWxOzVkaOHA_Lw88FgjepYGpFrrH0rDaOUOMzMke4P_36K92oxn02OICQ

PRESS RELEASE - 20 April 2021
IMAGES CAN BE DOWNLOADED 
HERE

ARTISTIC DIRECTOR OF BIRMINGHAM REPERTORY THEATRE, SEAN FOLEY, ANNOUNCES THE AUTUMN SEASON PROGRAMME, MARKING 50 YEARS OF THE THEATRE ON CENTENARY SQUARE

• NEW ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR IQBAL KHAN WILL DIRECT THE 25TH ANNIVERSARY PRODUCTION OF EAST IS EAST

• A NEW MUSICAL, WHAT’S NEW PUSSYCAT? FEATURING THE HIT SONGS OF SIR TOM JONES, BASED ON THE HENRY FIELDING NOVEL, THE HISTORY OF TOM JONES PRESENTED BY BIRMINGHAM REPERTORY THEATRE IN ASSOCIATION WITH FLODY SUAREZ AND KILIMANJARO THEATRICALS 

• THE FIRST REVIVAL OF THE OLIVIER AWARD WINNING COMEDY THE PLAY WHAT I WROTE DIRECTED BY SEAN FOLEY IN ASSOCIATION WITH DAVID PUGH AND THEATRE ROYAL BATH PRODUCTIONS

• COMING TO ENGLAND A STAGE ADAPTATION BY DAVID WOOD OF DAME FLOELLA BENJAMIN’S AWARD-WINNING BOOK

• BIRMINGHAM REPERTORY THEATRE AND SKY STUDIOS ANNOUNCE A NEW COMEDY DEVELOPMENT PARTNERSHIP TO FIND THE COMEDY WRITERS OF THE FUTURE

• NEW COMMISSION THE MUSLIM BOX ANNOUNCED TODAY FROM SARFRAZ MANZOOR AS WELL AS A NEW ADAPTATION OF HEDDA GABLER FROM TANIKA GUPTA. IN ADDITION, SHORT PLAYS FROM AMONGST OTHERS BRYONY LAVERY, ROBIN FRENCH AND FRANK SKINNER WILL BE PERFORMED DIGITALLY AND LIVE AS PART OF THE PARK BENCH PLAYS

• IQBAL KHAN JOINS THE REP AS ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR, BIRMINGHAM FILM-MAKER DANIEL ALEXANDER JOINS THE TEAM OF ARTISTIC ASSOCIATES, AND BARONESS FLOELLA BENJAMIN DBE DL IS ANNOUNCED AS PATRON OF YOUTH AND EDUCATION. 

• ALL PRODUCTIONS IN THE SEASON WILL GO AHEAD SHOULD SOCIAL DISTANCING BE REQUIRED 

• TICKETS GO ON SALE TO MEMBERS FROM MONDAY 26 APRIL AND ON GENERAL SALE FROM 10AM ON FRIDAY 30 APRIL

Sean Foley has today announced his programme for the 50th anniversary season of Birmingham Repertory Theatre in its current home on Centenary Square. The programme features a new musical featuring the hits of Sir Tom Jones, two major revivals - one the classic comic family drama of the British-Asian experience, the other the Olivier Award winning cock-eyed tribute to Morecambe and Wise that became a comedy classic itself - and a brand new adaptation of Floella Benjamin’s book about her own experiences of leaving Trinidad to move to England as a child. A new comedy writing talent development programme with Sky Studios is announced alongside the appointment of Iqbal Khan as Associate Director. Daniel Alexander joins The REP’s team of Associate Artists, and Baroness Floella Benjamin DBE joins as Patron of Youth and Education.

A resolutely positive programme of artistically ambitious popular theatre, with a focus on new musicals, family work and comedy, confirms the ambition to make The REP a world class theatre in Birmingham for everyone.

Foley said: “I’m thrilled to be able to announce what has become, in effect, my first season of work at this iconic and beloved theatre. All theatres have undergone tremendous challenges over the past year, and very many tough decisions have had to be made to get us to this point. We are tremendously excited by the shows and proud of the amazing array of creative talent from our freelance community that will be at The REP for this very special 50th Anniversary Season of the company on Centenary Square. The programme is testament to the whole company’s determination and desire to share the amazing event of live theatre with our audiences again, and we can’t wait to welcome everyone back -  back to entertainment, to debate, to laughter, and to the sheer joy of experiencing the excitement that being part of a great night out brings.”

East Is East

By Ayub Khan Din

A Birmingham Repertory Theatre Production

4 - 25 September

The House

Directed by Iqbal Khan

Designed by Bretta Gerecke

The smash-hit comedy-drama returns home for its 25th anniversary.

George Khan wants to raise his family the proper Pakistani way but hasn’t counted on the distractions of 70s Salford. Abdul and Tariq aren’t ready to be married off, Saleem is pushing artistic boundaries, Meenah’s skirt is too short and Sajit just wants to hide in his parka. Can mum Ella keep the family together?

Since premiering on The REP’s stage in 1996, East Is East has sold out three London runs, been adapted into a BAFTA Award-winning film and become a modern classic of comic-drama. Rediscover this joyous play where it all began.

Ayub Khan Din said: “On the 8th of October 1996, at 7:45, I sat in the studio of The REP, quietly crapping myself! It was the first performance of East Is East. I’d managed to get time off work to travel up for the first previews and press night, little did I know that my life was going to change so completely after this evening. I wondered if an autobiographical play about my life growing up in a bi-racial family would appeal to anyone outside of my immediate circle. The night was sparkling… The response from the audience was tremendous. The first review I read was from the Birmingham press, and I’ve never forgotten it, I didn’t realise it at the time how prescient it would prove to be; it read, “Hamlet is not a play about Danes, and the same can be said of East Is East” 25 years on, and the play has been performed all over the world, in many languages to many different cultures.  Now here we are, on the 25th anniversary, back where it all started and I couldn’t be more thrilled or excited, it’s like coming home.”

What’s New Pussycat?

8 October - 14 November

The House

Directed by Luke Sheppard

What’s New Pussycat?, is a brand new musical that invites you to experience the Swinging Sixties of London, as the thrilling iconic hit songs of the internationally celebrated singer Tom Jones are married with Henry Fielding’s classic comic novel – The History of Tom Jones, A Foundling. Written by the Tony Award winning Joe DiPietro (Memphis The Musical), the show has the full backing of Sir Tom himself who has been consulting with the producers throughout the development.

This joyous, romantic and highly entertaining new musical includes Tom Jones’ greatest hit songs: Green, Green Grass of Home, It’s Not Unusual, Leave Your Hat On, Delilah, Mama Told Me Not To Come, Sex Bomb and, of course, What’s New Pussycat? 

The show will be directed by Luke Sheppard, whose most recent production – the acclaimed & Juliet – has taken the West End by storm and won 3 Olivier Awards and 6 Whatstonstage Awards. He will be joined by a top class creative team, including the legendary choreographer and former Strictly Come Dancing judge, Arlene Philips CBE.

Director Luke Sheppard said: “I'm thrilled to be bringing this joyous new musical to the stage later this year. I have desperately missed being surrounded by laughter, immersed in music, inspired by dance, and this show promises to put all of that right. This is a piece about love and passion with two young people at the centre of it, and it’s an extra special honour to be part of The REP's 50th Anniversary Season; we'll be throwing a party on stage and we can't wait for audiences to come and join us.”

Presented by Birmingham Repertory Theatre in association with Flody Suarez, Joshua Andrews and Stuart Galbraith from Kilimanjaro Theatricals. Donna Munday will Executive Produce.

Birmingham Repertory Theatre presents in association with David Pugh and Theatre Royal Bath Productions

The Play What I Wrote

27 November to 1 January

By Hamish McColl and Sean Foley and, of course, Eddie Braben

The House

Director -  Sean Foley

Designer - Alice Power

Lighting Designer - Tim Mitchell

Music - Steve Parry

Choreographer - Ian West

Casting Director - Sarah Bird 

When The Play What I Wrote opened in London’s West End, originally directed by Kenneth Branagh, every single review was a rave, every show a sell-out and it won every major theatre award. The Sunday Times called it “a triumph” and The Observer said “audiences weep with laughter”. Now a brand new production directed by REP Artistic Director Sean Foley and co-written by Hamish McColl, Sean Foley and, of course, Eddie Braben will be bringing sunshine to Birmingham this Christmas.  

'Hamish' has written a play, an epic set in the French Revolution called ‘A Tight Squeeze for the Scarlet Pimple’. 'Sean', on the other hand, wants to continue with their double act. He believes that if they perform a tribute to Morecambe and Wise, Hamish’s confidence will be restored and the double act will go on. But first Sean needs to persuade a guest star to appear in the play what Hamish wrote...

With a mystery guest star at every performance, this “recklessly, tear-inducingly funny show” (The Guardian) is “a loving celebration of comic genius which is itself touched with comic genius” (Daily Telegraph). 

Previous mystery guest stars have included Ralph Fiennes, Ewan McGregor, Joanna Lumley, Daniel Radcliffe, Kylie Minogue, Nigel Havers, Jerry Hall, Sir Ian McKellen, Dawn French and Sting. 

Birmingham Repertory Theatre, Floella Benjamin and Nicolle Entertainment present

Coming To England
A musical journey for children 10+ and their families

From the book by Floella Benjamin

Adapted by David Wood

19 February - 6 March

The House

10-year-old Floella is strong and brave. When her parents leave Trinidad for England her young life is turned upside down when she’s placed with a cruel foster ‘auntie’. Eventually sailing to join her parents, Floella’s excitement for her new life in England is short-lived, with the family subjected to racism and intolerance in 1960s’ London. Guided by her inspirational mother, and working twice as hard as her classmates, young Floella strives to overcome adversity and learns to love and accept herself.

Bursting onto the stage with music, storytelling, humour and pathos, this world premiere production brings Floella Benjamin’s award-winning and iconic book Coming to England to vivid life on stage.

Adapted by David Wood, ‘the national children’s dramatist’ (The Times), this thoughtful stage version of Floella’s inspirational true story follows her difficult and courageous journey towards becoming a TV icon, successful business woman and eventually Baroness Benjamin of Beckenham.

Floella Benjamin said: I am absolutely thrilled that the musical production of my book 'Coming to England’ which has been adapted by the fantastic award winning playwright David Wood, will have its world premiere at The REP early next year. I cannot wait to see the story about my experiences arriving in the UK come to life on the stage in front of audiences of all ages. What a wonderful way for a new generation of people to get to know this Windrush story.

Sky Studios and Birmingham Repertory Theatre launch Annual Comedy Writing Initiative for New Writers

Sky Studios and Birmingham Repertory Theatre are proud to announce an exciting new partnership aiming to discover and develop new regional and national comedy writing talent - especially from communities that have traditionally been under-represented in the Arts. The scheme will unearth new and original perspectives, discovering and enabling new voices and giving  opportunities to those who don’t have access to conventional networks.

The initiative will be overseen by The REP’s Artistic Director Sean Foley and Sky Studios Creative Director for Comedy, BAFTA winning Anil Gupta (Goodness Gracious Me and The Office).

Open to writers across the UK the initiative will discover talent from wherever it springs. All selected writers will receive a bursary and personal mentoring from major comedy writers. 

Further information on the partnership and how to apply will be announced during May this year.

New writing at The REP

Sean Foley also announced that he has commissioned a new play from Sarfraz Manzoor. The Muslim Box is a contemporary comedy about Islam, identity and the in-laws.

Sarfraz Manzoor said: “When The REP staged the world premiere of Ayub Khan Din's East Is East it was a play and later a film that massively influenced me, which is why I am so incredibly excited by the opportunity to write my first play for the same stage as that seminal piece of theatre. I am beyond happy to be working together and can't wait to get cracking.” 

Tanika Gupta will also write a new adaptation of Hedda Gabler set in the post-war British film industry and reimagining the play through the lens of race as well as misogyny. 

Robin French, Bryony Lavery and Frank Skinner are among a group of writers who have written plays as part of The Park Bench Plays which will all be performed on and around park benches throughout Birmingham. The productions will be performed in front of live audiences and also will be streamed digitally. Further details of the performances will be announced soon. The ten minute plays have been written to be performed in pop up locations throughout Birmingham - surprising and delighting audiences as they go about their daily lives.

Foley has today announced that Iqbal Khan has joined Madeleine Kludje as an Associate Director of the theatre.  

Iqbal Khan has directed acclaimed productions at the RSC including Tartuffe, Antony and Cleopatra, Othello and Much Ado About Nothing (also the West End). His other work includes Educating Rita, Perfect Days and Beautiful Thing (Oldham Coliseum), Oleanna and Rafta Rafta (Bolton Octagon); Macbeth (Shakespeare’s Globe); Shakespeare at the Bowl (collaboration between LA Philharmonic & BBCSO at the Hollywood Bowl & Barbican); The Wildman of the West Indies (Donizetti opera for ETO, Hackney Empire & National Tour); Treemonisha (Pegasus Opera); The Importance of Being Earnest: The Musical (Riverside Studios); The Killing of Sister George (West End); Broken Glass (Tricycle/West End); A Slight Ache and Landscape (National Theatre).

Iqbal Khan said: “I am thrilled to be a part of this new episode in the life of the great Birmingham Repertory Theatre. It is a privilege to be asked by Sean Foley to contribute to his dynamic and pioneering vision for the theatre and its relationship to the wider cultural communities in Birmingham. I look forward to coming home and making The REP feel like a home for so many more.  As we emerge from this traumatic year, I hope we can be a source of consolation, inspiration and empowerment.

Additionally Floella Benjamin has been appointed to the role of Patron of Youth and Education

Baroness Floella Benjamin DBE DL left school at 16 with the aim of becoming Britain's first ever black woman bank manager but changed direction and became an actress, presenter, writer, award winning independent producer, politician and an active advocate for the wellbeing, care and education of children throughout the world. This year she celebrates 50 years in show business and has appeared on stage, film and television, working with some of Britain’s top drama directors. She is best known for her roles in the iconic children’s programmes Playschool and Playaway.

She has written over 30 books and her latest picture book edition of Coming to England is now a number one best seller. Her creative work has been recognised with a BAFTA and the JM Barrie Award for her lasting legacy to children’s creative arts.

From 2006 to 2016 she was Chancellor of the University of Exeter and in 2010 she entered the House of Lords as a Peer where speaks on children's, diversity and media issues. She chairs the committee, set up to commission a lasting monument to the Windrush Generation in central London.

In 2019 she was awarded a ‘Lifetime Achievement Award’ by the Women in Film & Television and in 2020 was made a Dame of the British Empire. She is currently writing her autobiography - 50 years of incredible memories.

Floella Benjamin said: “My life is about showing people from every walk of life that anything is possible. I have been talking to Sean and his team for nearly a year about how I can get involved with them to provide inspiration to young people from Birmingham and the West Midlands, and now I am thrilled to announce that I will be working with The REP as its Patron of Youth and Education, and open the Baroness Floella Benjamin DBE Creative Learning Centre at the theatre.  Birmingham is a rich tapestry of different cultures and communities and I hope that young people from every part of that tapestry will join us at The REP.”

Finally, Foley has announced the addition of Birmingham film-maker Daniel Alexander as an Artistic Associate of the theatre. He joins the group of Associates which includes Mohammed Ali, Lolita Chakrabarti, Paul Hunter, Tyrone Huggins, Debbie Isitt, Lorna Laidlaw, Drew McOnie, Meera Syal, Richard Thomas and Selina Thompson.

Daniel Alexander said: “I am delighted to become an Associate Artist of The REP and happy to contribute in any way that will help to push the creative scene regionally especially amongst such great company.” 

Details of further productions in both The Door and the Studio spaces at The REP will be announced in due course.

Notes to Editors

East Is East
4 – 25 September
Tickets from £12.50
What’s New Pussycat?
8 October – 14 November
Tickets from £17.50

The Play What I Wrote

27 November – 1 January

Tickets from £15.50

Coming To England

19 February – 6 March

Tickets from £10

birmingham-rep.co.uk

0121 236 4455

Please note there is a transaction fee of £2.50 on all payment types. This covers administration costs and enables us to provide a dedicated booking service. This charge does not apply to transactions under £10, group bookings over 50 and school group bookings. We also waive this charge if you are a REP Friend. Please talk to a member of The REP box office team if you require further information.

For bookings with access requirements or any other queries, please email ticketservices@birmingham-rep.co.uk with your ticket request and a contact number and a member of our box office team will get back to you.

Birmingham Repertory Theatre

Birmingham Repertory Theatre is the only producing theatre in the UK’s Second City.

The oldest building-based theatre company in the UK, The REP has an unparalleled pioneering history and has been at the forefront of theatre in this country for over 100 years. It is a registered charity (number 223660).

The REP’s mission is to create artistically ambitious popular theatre for, by, and with the people of Birmingham and the wider world.

The commissioning and production of new work lies at the core of The REP’s programme and over the last 15 years, the company has produced more than 130 new plays. As well as presenting over 60 productions on its three stages every year, the theatre tours its productions nationally and internationally. The REP’s acclaimed learning and outreach programme is one of the largest and most diverse of any arts organisation in the country. Every year we have over 70,000 contacts with young people and adults in the community on projects from drama or writing workshops to large-scale productions. The REP is also committed to nurturing new talent through its youth theatre groups, and it offers training for early career writers, directors, and artists through its ground-breaking REP Foundry theatre-makers programme.

Many of The REP’s productions go on to have lives beyond Birmingham. Recent tours and transfers include The Lovely Bones, Brief Encounter, Nativity! The Musical, What Shadows, LOVE, The Winslow Boy, The Government Inspector, Of Mice and Men, Anita and Me, Penguins and The King’s Speech. The theatre’s long-running production of The Snowman celebrated its 25th anniversary as well as its 22nd consecutive season at London's Peacock Theatre in 2019.