Two dancers in Brazil have called on Brazilian dancers worldwide to take part in an online ballet gala to be broadcast on Saturday 20 June 2020 at 7pm Brazilian time (11pm UK time so it will be a late night!).  Brazil is one of the worst affected countries in the Covid-19 pandemic and this gala will aid those most in need in the country.  So far, the dancers participating represent thirty companies worldwide and a highlight will be Mayara Magri and Matthew Ball dancing the balcony pas de deux from MacMillan's "Romeo and Juliet".  Other names familiar to UK audiences are Fernanda Oliveira of English National Ballet and twins Vitor and Guilherme Menezes, both now with Royal Danish Ballet.  The excerpts have been filmed wherever the dancers have found space to dance and have been filmed according to social distancing requirements in each country, not all by professional cameramen.

The organisers are asking for donations starting at R$25 (equivalent to approximately £3).  After donating, you will receive a link with a password to enable you to watch the gala via Youtube.

The link for donating is:   https://www.vakinha.com.br/r/1067494/4845086.  The first credit card I used was not accepted but my donation went through when I tried a different card.  The donation form strangely asks for your date of birth and a "Document".  I just typed "passport" in here but was not asked to attach it so this is probably a standard form for other things.  Information about the gala, who will benefit and the donation process can be found on Instagram:  Galaballetonlinebrasil. 

• Like 1

I am really looking forward to this .... lots of other brilliant Brazilian dancers are participating including young soloists already performing principal roles at the Mariinsky - Victor Caixeta, and Bolshoi - David Motta Soares.  I’ve watched Victor in clips online ... very very promising.  I also saw David perform Don Q with Ekaterina Krysanova in London when the Bolshoi visited last year.  He was tremendous 👏

Edited by FionaE
Name typo
  • Like 1

I have just received further information from the organisers and this gala will be available to view  (via Vimeo) until 30 June so no more worries about staying awake tomorrow to watch the whole thing in one go!  You can also donate until 30 June and get access to it once your donation has been received.

• Like 1

This online gala was a real treat and, being streamed via Vimeo, the sound and picture quality were excellent.  The organisers even thoughtfully supplied a PDF of the programme along with the password to access the event.  Sadly, David Motta Soares of the Bolshoi did not appear but otherwise there was a wonderful array of Brazilian talent, many of whom are principal dancers in companies all over the world.  I marvelled at the enterprise of the dancers in finding spaces in which to dance.  Most amazing was Mayara Magri, along with her partner Matthew Ball, of the Royal Ballet, who had found a (currently deserted) piazza in a business centre (100 Liverpool Street in the City of London) complete with balcony and staircase in which to dance the balcony pas de deux from McMillan’s “Romeo and Juliet”.  Some dancers were lucky enough to be in ballet studios.  Otherwise, there was an assortment of parks, playgrounds, roof terraces and living rooms. Most ingenious was the ‘solo’ (“L’Homme”) performed by twins Vitor and Guilherme Menezes in Denmark, where the camera cut seamlessly from one of them dancing in a multistorey car park to the other dancing in a park.  Most amusing was the living room setting of Paulo Arrais and Derek Dunn of Boston Ballet, performing a duet to the White Swan pas de deux while their cat, sitting on the window sill, studiously ignored them except for one brief glance before returning to staring out of the window!  Other UK-based dancers taking part included ENB’s lovely Fernanda Oliveira in Nikiya’s Act I solo and Ballet Black’s Isabela Coracy in a solo she choreographed for herself.  The gala lasts two hours and fifteen minutes and, if anyone is interested in having a look at this very enjoyable event, it is available until 30 June 2020 for a minimum donation of approx. £3, with 100% of your donation going to Brazilian charities.  I know I will certainly be revisiting it several times to watch my favourite moments again.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...