Chromebooks - Can anyone help please?

Terpsichore

I have just spent a lot of money on a new Chromebook. While setting it up in accordance with the instructions and before I could connect it to my phone the screen froze. I received an email from @google "Smart; lock is turned on" you can use your phone.

The problem is that my phone is not yet connected to my Chromebook. I am not sure that my phone can ever be connected to the Chromebook at it is a 5-year-old Huawei but my Chromebook can't be connected to any kind of phone until its screen is unfrozen and the lock removed.

I have spent most of the night scouring the internet looking for articles on how to unlock a smart lock without a phone. There are plenty of infuriating articles about "how great" this feature is supposed to be but very few on how to unlock a "smart lock" without a phone connection.

The most helpful suggestion so far is to attempt a Powerwash. I have tried to do that but I am scuppered by the absence of a cursor so I can't press the blue "continue" button on the "Are you sure you really want a Powerwash?" screen.

Is there any viable alternative to returning my Chromebook to the retailer, exchanging it for a Windows machine or an Apple computer and phone and never touching Chromebooks, Android or Google ever again?

Edited by alison
To reduce font size

A couple of thoughts:

- ask on the Chromebook forum: https://www.chromebookforum.com/forum/

- contact the manufacturers, or the Chromebook people - not sure which

More immediately, are you able to *tab* onto the "Continue" button and hit Enter?

That apart, I'm afraid I'm a bit stuck :( 

Oh, and if your Chromebook doesn't have its own integral wi-fi, beware: despite the fact that it is supposed to work fully offline, I've had cases where mine (admittedly elderly by now) wouldn't allow me to log into it at all when I wasn't connected to the internet.  A very awkward situation, particularly since I was supposed to be doing a ticket pickup at the time, and I was in an area without any free wi-fi in the immediate vicinity :(

:(

I wasn't sure whether it was your first one.  Glad to know they work for some people :)  They're too limited for me.  Not to mention the fact that Google suddenly decide to withdraw support from them after a few years.

Hope you manage to get it sorted quickly, Terpsichore.