Press Release: Northern Ballet appoints new Music Director

Northern Ballet appoints new Music Director

Northern Ballet has appointed Jonathan Lo as the Company’s new Music Director. He will replace outgoing Music Director John Pryce-Jones who has retired after 27 years with Northern Ballet. Lo will take up his permanent position this summer, joining in time to lead the music department for Northern Ballet’s 50th anniversary.

Hong Kong born Briton, Jonathan Lo, read music at the University of Oxford before going on to study conducting at Royal Northern College of Music. He is Principal Guest Conductor of the Xi’an Symphony Orchestra in China, a Jette Parker Young Artist at the Royal Opera House and Principal Conductor of the Haffner Orchestra, New Bristol Sinfonia and Manchester Chamber Choir. He has conducted for companies such as The Royal Ballet, including a live broadcast to cinemas around the world, Birmingham Royal Ballet, Scottish Ballet and Rambert Dance Company. Notable orchestras he has conducted include the Orchestra of the Royal Opera House,Danish National Symphony Orchestra, BBC Philharmonic, London Sinfonietta and the Cyprus Symphony Orchestra. Lo made his conducting debut with Northern Ballet in 2019 as Guest Music Director for the world première of Victoria. 

David Nixon OBE, Artistic Director of Northern Ballet, said: ‘After what was a very thorough and considered process, I am very excited that Jonathan Lo will be joining the Northern Ballet family. I look forward to working with him and to the next steps with our Northern Ballet Sinfonia.’

Jonathan Lo said: ‘I am thrilled to join the Northern Ballet family as Music Director. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with this wonderful company and I look forward to working with David Nixon and the excellent Northern Ballet Sinfonia towards an exciting artistic future.’

-ENDS-

Northern Ballet

Northern Ballet is one of the UK’s leading ballet companies and the widest touring ballet company in the UK. Bold and innovative in its approach, Northern Ballet is prolific at creating new full-length work with a unique blend of strong classical technique and world-class storytelling. Northern Ballet’s repertoire embraces popular culture and takes inspiration from literature, legend, opera and the classics, pushing the boundaries of what stories can be told through dance.

A champion for the cultural exports of the North, Leeds-based Northern Ballet is dedicated to bringing world-class story ballets to as many people and places as possible, under the leadership of Artistic Director David Nixon OBE. Northern Ballet performs a combination of its full-length ballets and specially created ballets for children at more than 40 venues annually.

For more details of Northern Ballet's tour, on sale dates and booking information, please visit northernballet.com/whatson

A screenshot of a cell phone  Description automatically generated

National Stage & Screen Sponsor

A close up of a sign  Description automatically generated

• Like 1