Rit dye - Royal blue

Has anyone got any experience using the Rit dye on tulle or organza? ( I’m guessing  maybe @Sheila Beelam might be able to help 😀). In particular the royal blue. I am looking to Create a vivid Royal blue ( think JA s blue ) For a friends small bridesmaid dress. I read online that Rit was a good dye to use on this type of fabric but having ordered it, the colour looks on the box much more like what I’d call an airforce blue ( kind of greyish) than a true royal blue. Does anyone have any experience with this dye before I mess up?  😂😊

Edited by along for the ride mum
Spelling

Darker/richer colours are harder to get right and dyeing synthetic fabrics is also trickier. Sometimes the dye colour can be misleading in the bottle/water, but rit do have a dyeing colour chart which is a useful resource :) 

What you need is the rit dye specifically for synthetics and lots of testing! I’ll check in the shop tomorrow and see if I have any. Just dyed sone silk bright orange this morning - so satisfying! 

Thanks Sheila, that’s so kind. I actually decided to have a bit of a trial this afternoon. Can’t practice on the actual fabric as this is a pre loved dress but I found the closest possible match as far as I can tell and had a go, the tulle took the colour beautifully, just what we wanted but the chiffon, ( it turns out I may not know my chiffon from my organza 😂) much less so, the longer it was in there the less blue it got, it started off a lovely but pale blue but fairly quickly became much more of a lilac, a really lovely colour, reminded me of bluebells but not what was intended, I think I’m going to wimp out on this one and suggest we take a different tack, maybe with a good clean and a nice wide ribbon around the waist instead. 😀

Edited by along for the ride mum

59 minutes ago, along for the ride mum said:

Thanks Sheila, that’s so kind. I actually decided to have a bit of a trial this afternoon. Can’t practice on the actual fabric as this is a pre loved dress but I found the closest possible match as far as I can tell and had a go, the tulle took the colour beautifully, just what we wanted but the chiffon, ( it turns out I may not know my chiffon from my organza 😂) much less so, the longer it was in there the less blue it got, it started off a lovely but pale blue but fairly quickly became much more of a lilac, a really lovely colour, reminded me of bluebells but not what was intended, I think I’m going to wimp out on this one and suggest we take a different tack, maybe with a good clean and a nice wide ribbon around the waist instead. 😀

Probably wise :) Dyeing is always a journey of discovery for me and it’s stressful enough with uncut  fabric - making sure you’ve dyed enough to cater for any mistakes, omissions or spotting etc but I wouldn’t want to try a preloved item :) 

do share photos of what you decide to do! It’s amazing how much a simple ribbon or a few flowers can make to a dress 🌸