Opera House in Nice

Could anyone tell me anything about the seating in this theatre. I see that there are lots of boxes ranged around the stalls. Is it better to sit in the boxes than in the stalls (I notice that the stalls seats seem to be less popular than the seats in the boxes)? What is the rake like in the stalls and is it awkward sitting in the boxes if your party is not taking a whole box?

I've been sitting in rows B-D of the stalls a few times as I like being close to the stage. At 5'3, however, this has proven tricky occasionally as and when the person in front of me was substantially taller than me. I've thus resorted to sitting on my outer jacket, handbag, etc. in these cases to get a better view. ;-)

The view from the first few rows of the stalls is, I think, slightly below stage level (well, at least at my diminutive height), and the rake in the stalls is gentle and increases a little towards the back. The picture in the link gives an indication of the rake. http://www.opera-nice.org/fr/opera/le-lieu

I haven't tried the boxes yet as they are either very much to the side of the stage or, if more to the centre, at a distance from the stage. I think next time I will be there (for the mixed programme in April?) I'll go and try a seat halfway back in the stalls as an alternative to the first few rows. I have also found a seat next to the path in the centre of great benefit.

As for the atmosphere in general, I have found it nicely relaxed and thus wouldn't expect any issues with sharing a box.

Edited by Duck
amended last sentence
  • Like 1