Press Release: BBC star Anita Rani joins Northern Ballet Board

BBC star Anita Rani joins Northern Ballet Board

BBC and Strictly Come Dancing star Anita Rani has accepted an invitation to join Northern Ballet’s Board of Directors.The Bradford-born TV and radio presenter joins the Board as Northern Ballet prepares for one of the biggest years in the Company’s history which includes the upcoming World Premières of an unprecedented three new full-length ballets; CasanovaThe Boy in the Striped Pyjamas and The Little Mermaid.  

Anita Rani is best known for her work with the BBC as a presenter and journalist. Last year she co-presented a three part BBC Two series New York: America’s Busiest City and is a co-host of Countryfile as well as making regular appearances on The One Show. Last summer she also co-presented ITV’s This Morning with chef James Martin. Anita, who was born and raised in Bradford and attended university in Northern Ballet’s home town of Leeds, developed herpassion for dance in 2015 after participating in Strictly Come Dancing where she made it to the semi-finals. This year she is the new host for the Strictly Come Dancing Live tour.

On her appointment to Northern Ballet’s Board, Anita said: ‘I am thrilled to be joining the Board of Northern Ballet. It’s an honour to be asked to support this amazing arts organisation, especially as a Yorkshire lass. I’ve always loved dance from afar and after Strictly, dance has become a passion I want to have in my life forever. I look forward to encouraging more people to come and watch this incredible company perform. So excited about the future.’

In addition to Anita Rani, Northern Ballet has also announced three further new appointments to its Board of Directors; Paul Smith, Head of Media at global entertainment marketing and advertising agency AKA UK, Harry Keogh, Managing Director, Head of London Coverage at Coutts and James Taylor, currently Chief Financial Officer at Anya Hindmarch.

Sir David Wootton, Chairman of the Board, said: ‘We are always looking to refresh our Board with the diverse skills, experiences, backgrounds, new ideas and thinking that Northern Ballet needs as it moves forward. We have exciting plans and innovations across all our wide-ranging activities and I am delighted that our Board is being further strengthened by the appointments announced today.’

Northern Ballet’s Chief Executive, Mark Skipper DL, said: ‘I am very much looking forward to working with all of our new Board members. Collectively they have a huge range of talents and expertise to bring to Northern Ballet which will help us achieve even greater heights in the future.’

-ENDS-

Notes to Editors

Northern Ballet

Northern Ballet is one of the UK’s leading ballet companies and the widest touring ballet company in the UK. Bold and innovative in its approach, Northern Ballet is prolific at creating new full-length work with a unique blend of strong classical technique and world-class storytelling. Northern Ballet’s repertoire embraces popular culture and takes inspiration from literature, legend, opera and the classics, pushing the boundaries of what stories can be told through dance.

A champion for the cultural exports of the North, Leeds-based Northern Ballet is dedicated to bringing world-class story ballets to as many people and places as possible, under the leadership of Artistic Director David Nixon OBE. Northern Ballet’s Company of 45 dancers performs a combination of its full-length ballets and specially created ballets for children at almost 50 venues annually. Providing the highest standard of live theatre experience, every Northern Ballet performance is accompanied by live music played by Northern Ballet Sinfonia.

For more details of Northern Ballet's tour, on sale dates and booking information, please visit northernballet.com/whatson