A question about Liverpool Hope University.

Lisa O`Brien

I know this is a long shot , but I thought I would ask on here before asking on a student forum. [Probably should be doing it the other way around but there you go]. My son is thinking of handing in his UCAS application. His Personal Statement is more or less done. The deadline is 6pm on 15th January.  He knows if it gets nearer the time and he really doesn't want to go then no-one is going to hold a gun to his head and force him to go. I think if they are offered a place they are given until around May to accept or decline any place.[ That is if a place is offered, of course]. He likes the look of Liverpool Hope University. Online it looks really nice, and comes across as being quite caring. It advertises itself as a Christian university. I am a Roman Catholic and go to Mass, although don't go anywhere near as often as I should. My son however, hasn't believed in any sort of religion, organised or not for a good few years now. Like many young adults, he feels,rightly or wrongly, that the world would be a far better place if there was no religion. Anyway my question is, just how religious or not, does anyone know, is this university? Would the students be expected to be Christians themselves, and take part in any services or prayers at all? And if not and it's the same as every other university why do they even mention it then? Does anyone know anything about what it is like? Thanks .                 

I was invited to give a talk at Liverpool Hope a year ago and met some staff several times over a period of a month or so. It used to be a Catholic teacher training establishment and has been trying to make the transition to more general higher education. For how well it is succeeding at this, you might like to check league tables etc. You need have no fears about a non-religious son feeling like a fish out of water.

Hope that helps. I will send you a PM with more information.

Edited by Geoff
  • Like 3