PRESS RELEASE: Northern Ballet Premier Dancer wins at Choreography Competition in Hanover

Northern Ballet Media Release

For Immediate Release

25 June 2012

Northern Ballet Premier Dancer wins at Choreography Competition in Hanover

Northern Ballet’s Premier Dancer Kenneth Tindall has won the Bundesjugendballett Production Prize at the 26th Choreography Competition in Hanover for his debut piece Project #1. The Production Prize will allow Kenneth to create a new work for Germany’s national youth ballet based in Hamburg.

Kenneth Tindall said, ‘The last two days have been an amazing experience, I would have never dreamed that Project #1 could have taken me this far. The standard of the competition was incredibly high and to be a part of it was overwhelming. Winning the Production Prize, the chance to choreograph for another company, is such an honour. I want to thank my dancers, Al West, David Nixon and Mark Skipper who have supported me throughout this process.’

Originally created for a Northern Ballet Choreographic Workshop performance in the summer of 2011, Project #1 was then extended to form part of Perpetual Motion which was performed at the Stanley & Audrey Burton Theatre in Leeds earlier this year. The piece was developed by looking at each dancer’s way of moving and producing choreography which showcased their unique style.

Artistic Director David Nixon OBE said, ‘I am thrilled that Kenny has achieved such incredible success with his first piece of choreography at such a prestigious competition. I am incredibly proud that such high quality work is coming from within Northern Ballet and is being recognised internationally.’

-ENDS-

• Like 2