Press Release: Marc Brew Company, For Now, I am...Lilian Baylis Studio, 10 & 11 March 2016

Marc Brew Company

For Now, I am…
Dance & Dialogue
Lilian Baylis Studio, EC1R
Thursday 10 & Friday 11 March 2016
Performances: Thu & Fri at 8pm
Tickets: £17 (concessions £8.50)
Ticket Office: 020 7863 8000 or www.sadlerswells.com

Dance:
Following on from the success of the =dance strand, Sadler’s Wells continues its commitment to presenting dance by deaf and disabled artists, beginning with award-winning performer Marc Brew’s work For Now, I am… which comes to the Lilian Baylis Studio on Thursday 10 andFriday 11 March 2016 before embarking on a national tour (full details below). The evening is a dual presentation of movement and words, illuminating distinctive artistic practice, entitled Dance & Dialogue.

For Now, I am… engages directly with Marc Brew’s body as it is now, 18 years since his life-changing car accident in which he suffered a spinal cord injury. The work explores the journey of getting to know his changed body and new ways of working and performing. The work is the second part of a trilogy; the first, Remember When, was featured at Sadler’s Wells as part of =dance in 2014. Remember When was originally commissioned by East London Dance for Big Dance 2008 and has since been presented in the UK, Australia, the USA, Europe and most recently at British Dance Edition and Unlimited Festival 2014.

Marc Brew of Marc Brew Company said: “My last solo Remember When was created in 2008 and I felt it was time to create a new solo work. For Now, I am… is an autobiographical work looking at the moment I woke up in hospital and how I had to rediscover my body and how it moves now. The work takes the audience on the journey of rediscovery and exploration of my experiences and what it means to be whole with beautiful imagery and a music score that creates a moving atmosphere and captivates the audience from beginning to end.”

Brew is an award winning Australian performer, director and choreographer. Now based in Glasgow, Brew’s work has been toured to critical acclaim across the world. His outdoor work (i)land was commissioned for the Glasgow 2014 Cultural programme and street arts consortium Without Walls.

Brew has also produced work for a number of high profile companies such as Ballet Cymru, AXIS Dance Company (USA), Candoco Dance Company, Scottish Dance Theatre, Touch Compass Dance Company (NZ), Amy Seiwert’s Imagery (USA), The London Contemporary Dance School and YDance.

In 2015 Brew created Exalt for Scottish Ballet and Indepen-dance, the first integrated work to be made for a national ballet company. Brew has been presented with a Centenary Medal for Outstanding Contribution as a dancer and choreographer and in 2014 was nominated for Outstanding Achievement in Performance at the prestigious Isadora Duncan Awards for his solo piece Remember When. Brew is currently Associate Artist at Tramway and Associate Artistic Director at Ballet Cymru and also a Guest Artistic Director at AXIS Dance Company. 

Dialogue:

On Thursday 10 March, renowned percussionist Dame Evelyn Glennie and Marc Brewcompare creating, performing, and collaborating in their respective art forms. 

On Friday 11 MarchAlistair Spalding, Sadler’s Wells’ Artistic Director and Chief Executive, will be in conversation with Marc Brew on creating dance that reflects life experience.

Both performances are audio described

BSL interpreted dialogue

The development of the project is supported by The Work Room, Creative Scotland, Dance Base and Tramway.

Notes to Editors

Listings information

Marc Brew Company
For Now, I am…
Dance & Dialogue
Lilian Baylis Studio, EC1R
Thursday 10 & Friday 11 March 2016
Performances: Thu & Fri at 8pm
Tickets: £17 (concessions £8.50)
Ticket Office: 020 7863 8000 or www.sadlerswells.com

National tour dates

16 March  
Traverse Theatre, Edinburgh, EH1 2ED                  
Performance: 7.30pm

Tickets:  £16.50 (concessions £13.50 & £8.50
Ticket Office: 0131 228 1404 or www.traverse.co.uk  

23 March
MacArts Centre, Galashiels,TD1 1SP
Performance: 7.30pm
Ticket Office: 01896 756852 or www.macarts.scot/

23 April
The Lemon Tree, Aberdeen, AB24 5AT
Performance: 7pm
Tickets: £11 (students/U26 £5) 
Ticket Office: 01224 641122 or www.aberdeenperformingarts.com 

ABOUT SADLER’S WELLS
Sadler's Wells is a world-leading dance house, committed to producing, commissioning and presenting new works and to bringing the very best international and UK dance to London and worldwide audiences. Under the Artistic Directorship of Alistair Spalding, the theatre’s acclaimed year-round programme spans dance of every kind, from contemporary to flamenco, Bollywood to ballet, salsa to street dance and tango to tap. Since 2005 it has helped to bring over 90 new dance works to the stage and its award-winning commissions and collaborative productions regularly tour internationally. Sadler’s Wells supports 16 Associate Artists, three Resident Companies and an Associate Company and nurtures the next generation of talent through hosting the National Youth Dance Company, its Summer University programme, Wild Card initiative and its New Wave Associates.

Located in Islington, north London, the current theatre is the sixth to have stood on the site since it was first built by Richard Sadler in 1683. The venue has played an illustrious role in the history of theatre ever since, with The Royal Ballet, Birmingham Royal Ballet and English National Opera all having started at Sadler’s Wells.

Sadler’s Wells is an Arts Council National Portfolio Organisation and currently receives approximately 10% of its revenue from Arts Council England.