Boy doing dance? Boy doing college American football? Boy doing both?

Stirrups36

My just turned 10 year old son is seriously planning to be a top rugby player (& at 5'3" seems built for it!) but has also just done RAD Grade 2 ballet & intends to keep up dancing alongside rugby as he knows it gives him strength, suppleness, great jumping, speed, co-ordination & balance - key skills needed for both of these sports!

Good to see clips like this - thank you!

Edited by Peanut68
  • Like 3

My just turned 10 year old son is seriously planning to be a top rugby player (& at 5'3" seems built for it!) but has also just done RAD Grade 2 ballet & intends to keep up dancing alongside rugby as he knows it gives him strength, suppleness, great jumping, speed, co-ordination & balance - key skills needed for both of these sports!

Good to see clips like this - thank you!

The problems he will have Peanut, are the injuries he will without doubt get playing rugby, even the very minor ones will interfere with a dancing career / hobby. Both my son and son in law played professional rugby league for many years, and my son in particular had some horrific injuries from time to time, that would almost certainly have ended a dance career. I just had to chuckle to myself thinking of him dancing the role of Prince Siegfried, with his fingers pointing in all directions, due to the many dislocations over the years. I know he is only 10, but if he intends to take his dancing as far as he can, I would strongly advise him not playing rugby. On the other hand if his rugby comes first, and his dancing is only intended to be a hobby, then I agree he should go for it.