Partial nail avulsion and return to ballet

beckyl

I am having some surgery mid-August to remove a thin strip from either side of both big toenails. I cant find much info on the internet about recovery time as it seems to vary. A very optimistic site said you could go back to sport in three days.

Has anyone had any experience of this? I was wondering how soon afterwards I would be back to ballet?

Thanks,

Becky

I have had this procedure done on both toe nails.  I must stress I am not a dancer.  The first toenail was badly infected when I had it done and it was about 2 weeks before I could wear any shoes other than my very old dog walking shoes.  The second nail wasn't infected and I was wearing most shoes after about 4 days.  However if you are doing pointe work I expect it would be a good couple of weeks, but others may be able to advise better.

Given the pain I was in with my infected toenail, I would have to say this procedure is the best thing since sliced bread!

Good luck!

Thanks for your quick response, Janet. I'm really nervous about the surgery. My toenails aren't infected (one small infection once) but are very painful- even a ballet slipper is sometimes excruciating! I know I need it done though, my podiatrist says so but se can't tell me how long before I'm back to ballet!

For my right, infected toe, the relief was instantaneous although the toe was still tender for a couple of weeks while the infection died away.  Then I was fully back to normal.  I do not know if your podiatrist will administer the local the same way mine did but it involved holding the end of the toe to steady it.  Oh boy did I scream!!!  The lady said she couldn't do the procedure if she couldn't administer the local.  There was another lady in the room and she held my hand to calm me down.  Once the anaesthetic had been administered and the toe was frozen, I honestly didn't feel a thing.  When I was defrosting, I had paracetamol at the ready but in reality I didn't need them.

For my left, uninfected toe nail, I had no problems at all with the procedure and this time I didn't even have the paracetamol at the ready!

It sounds as though your toenails are ingrown.  I feel your pain but I can assure you, you will not know yourself after the procedure.

Please let me know how you get on.