Programme for Wendy Whelan's NYCB Farewell Announced ...

Includes a new cooperative ballet choreographed by both Wheeldon (RB Choreographic Associate) and Ratmansky (whose Concerto DSCH proved to be the defining highlight for British audiences in it's very long awaited UK debut during the recent Mariinsky visit.  The work was, of course, created for/on Ms. Whelan at NYCB).  Source

NYT quote from the wondrous Ms. Whelan:  

Ms. Whelan said it was important for her to end her career at City Ballet with something new. “I like the idea of making a debut on my farewell,” she said.

Edited by Bruce Wall

• 2 weeks later...

This will be in tomorrow's links I'm sure ... but if you wanted an advance peek here is a very telling interview with the irreplaceable Wendy Whelan from today's NYT.   One is only sad that so much of her extraordinary career - including the 40 new principal roles with NYCB such as were created for her by the leading choreographers of our time - from Robbins to Ratmansky - (i) have not actually been seen locally and in many instances - although film of the same exists in the NY Public Library and is free to all comers - (ii) an active record will not be available of this gloriously varied panorama for balletomanes who reside solely in the UK.  Heartbreaking.

Edited by Bruce Wall