National Youth Ballet

Spacy

Hello everyone. This is my first time posting having spent lots of time reading all your interesting posts. I have a dd who is looking to do more ballet. she is a RB MA. She are looking at auditioning for English Youth Ballet or something similar. could anyone tell me a bit more about the audition procedure, standard of ballet etc. Dd is 12 years old. she is not doing very much pointe work at the moment and we were wondering if she would be expected to dance on pointe.

English Youth Ballet and National Youth Ballet are 2 different entities.Both are great performance experience for young dancers.EYB has plenty of non pointe roles.I'm sure your DD would have no difficulty in selection for EYB if she is a RB MA.EYB are based regionally -the children do 11 rehearsals then 3 performances.The majority of the rehearsals are based around school holidays eg the Newcasle Swan Lake April performances rehearse mainly during Easter; the most recent Manchester Giselle rehearsed in October half term for November performances.There are also some weekend rehearsals and some of the shows may be during the week depending on venue.NYB is based in the south with a summer school for rehearsals based at Tring (residential only for 12+ and day attendance for the younger ones) and the performances are in London and a touring arm.The standard is generally said to be higher than EYB.My DD has not done NYB so there will be others better able to comment.More info can be found on their websites.http://www.englishyouthballet.co.uk and http://www.nyb.org.uk

Thank you so much for your reply Celb. It is actually the National Youth Ballet that I was talking about, I keep getting them mixed up. The EYB does not seem to be doing anything close enough to us in the future (we are on the south coast). Thanks for your reply it is all so confusing. There is a lot out there but sometimes difficult to know best what to try for!! It seems like this forum is a great way to find out.

National Youth Ballet have a fairly basic first audition, arranged by age/grade - no pointe work although I believe the letter says to take pointe shoes if you have them. There can be quite a range within each group and they split them into smaller groups within the audition if required. The second audition is in London. Again there are various groups, each with different starting times. Each groups starts with a short class but then I think they call dancers in depending which roles they are being considered for. At 12 my DD stayed til the end and was called back in 8 or 9 times. At 14 she was only there about 90 minutes and was seen 4 times. Her 16 year old friend was there 4 hours and seen twice. My DD has never been asked to do pointework. The 16 year old only did pointework. They seemed to think that the seniors are the 16 and over group. They tell you quite clearly that not all recalled will be cast and you hear within about a week of the final audition. All the dates for this year are on the NYB website. At the Tring summer school they do all their rehearsals and when they are not needed in rehearsal they are in classes. Hope this helps you.