Elmhurst Auditions yr 7

Katy

Hi, my dd has a final audition with elmhurst on Thursday, she’s extremely nervous as didn’t reach the semi’s or WL. She’s very worried about the ‘getting to know you’ section, should she prepare for this? I will be with her but scared she’ll keep looking to me to help!! Also how long after the audition do the results normally take. I’m extremely new to all of this! Have no idea about numbers etc!

• Like 2

Maybe you could tell your Dd that this is just a fun chat where she gets to tell them all about herself. There’s no right or wrong answers! It’s just a relaxed chat about her dance classes, pets, etc.  -why she wants to go to the school and what she’ll miss most about leaving home or how she thinks she’ll cope with boarding- if she is planning on boarding. The more relaxed you and her are about it, the more she can enjoy it and feel confident on the day. If she’s worrying about it, then why not have a few pretend sessions where you put some fun questions to her? 
I think she might want to prepare a couple of questions for them too! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Ruby Foo said:

Maybe you could tell your Dd that this is just a fun chat where she gets to tell them all about herself. There’s no right or wrong answers! It’s just a relaxed chat about her dance classes, pets, etc.  -why she wants to go to the school and what she’ll miss most about leaving home or how she thinks she’ll cope with boarding- if she is planning on boarding. The more relaxed you and her are about it, the more she can enjoy it and feel confident on the day. If she’s worrying about it, then why not have a few pretend sessions where you put some fun questions to her? 
I think she might want to prepare a couple of questions for them too! 

Thank you! I was planning a little ‘play practice’ tomorrow… I just didn’t know how formal the session would be! Really great tip about thinking of a couple of questions 

I’m not saying that your daughter will take to this suggestion, every child is different, but I had similar concerns about how it might appear if I went in with her. I then asked my daughter and she surprised me and said ‘I think it’ll look more professional and committed if I go myself’!! Very proud of her for thinking in that way, and ultimately she’s right! If she does go in 6 months, I’m not going to be there to hand hold (very sadly😢😢😢, she’s my little girl ❤️). It’s only going to be for a few minutes and you’ll be sat right outside in the foyer so can see her straight after. Maybe if she sees others going in themselves, she’ll feel happier…so long as she’s not first up I guess. I think the message is that it’s flexible and I think you can decide last minute depending on how she feels. Good luck!!

• Thanks 1

The people that do the interviews are really lovely, no one is out to ‘catch anyone out’  or trick them.  A little

nerves won’t bother any of them.  They know they are still young.  I think my DDs interview for yr10 was with a house parent.  

Wait time is about 2 weeks, they should give you a rough time in the parent Q&A section.

I would try not to worry about numbers, you can drive yourself crazy. The fact she has made finals is a huge achievement x

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 24/02/2024 at 21:20, Katy said:

Thank you! I was planning a little ‘play practice’ tomorrow… I just didn’t know how formal the session would be! Really great tip about thinking of a couple of questions 

It is very informal and I don't think it has much, if any, bearing on the result. It is more just about getting to know the child, to build up a bit of a picture before they potentially attend. An opportunity to discuss any worries or ask any questions you might want to ask, and to make sure the school is definitely what you are looking forward. It doesn’t matter whether you go in with the child or not, attending the audition is enough to show resilience and independence. So if your child finds comfort in having you with them in the ‘getting to know you’ session, then don’t overthink it. From experience, it’s a great experience, the school is very friendly with a lovely feel about it. Good luck, we will be there too, second try for my daughter x 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 24/02/2024 at 22:02, Balleteveryday said:

I’m not saying that your daughter will take to this suggestion, every child is different, but I had similar concerns about how it might appear if I went in with her. I then asked my daughter and she surprised me and said ‘I think it’ll look more professional and committed if I go myself’!! Very proud of her for thinking in that way, and ultimately she’s right! If she does go in 6 months, I’m not going to be there to hand hold (very sadly😢😢😢, she’s my little girl ❤️). It’s only going to be for a few minutes and you’ll be sat right outside in the foyer so can see her straight after. Maybe if she sees others going in themselves, she’ll feel happier…so long as she’s not first up I guess. I think the message is that it’s flexible and I think you can decide last minute depending on how she feels. Good luck!!

And for context, it was in a room with several other people having their interviews with a different member of staff at the same time, it was very friendly. The interview is with a member of staff (not a member of the panel) x 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Balletmum1210 said:

And for context, it was in a room with several other people having their interviews with a different member of staff at the same time, it was very friendly. The interview is with a member of staff (not a member of the panel) x 

Thank you x

44 minutes ago, Balletmum1210 said:

It is very informal and I don't think it has much, if any, bearing on the result. It is more just about getting to know the child, to build up a bit of a picture before they potentially attend. An opportunity to discuss any worries or ask any questions you might want to ask, and to make sure the school is definitely what you are looking forward. It doesn’t matter whether you go in with the child or not, attending the audition is enough to show resilience and independence. So if your child finds comfort in having you with them in the ‘getting to know you’ session, then don’t overthink it. From experience, it’s a great experience, the school is very friendly with a lovely feel about it. Good luck, we will be there too, second try for my daughter x 

Good luck to your daughter! This kids have so much maturity and resilience! I definitely was not like this at 10!!

• Like 1