Dutch National Ballet Junior Company - 10th anniversary performances

It is ten years since the Dutch National Ballet Junior Company was set up, only the third after ABT and Hamburg.  The model clearly succeeds in supporting the recruitment, development and high standards of young dancers - and is proliferating across the globe.  The first conference of Junior Companies will be held in London in June.

Yesterday was the first night of a programme focussed on the future.  After opening with Balanchine's Valse Fantaisie, the Junior Company presented three world premieres by Kirsten Wicklund, Joseph Toonga and Wubkje Kuindersma and Toccata, which Krzystof Pastor created last year for principals of the Polish National Ballet.  

The Junior Company alumni from the last ten years have been invited to this afternoon's performance.  The main company is now comprised 60% from the Junior Company, including several principals.

In his speech from the stage, Ernst Meisner told us that students entering the Prix de Lausanne are required to state in advance their preference for a ballet school.  It sounds a bit like UCAS.  When he went recruiting in Lausanne before the Junior Company had been set up, he had received just 2 enquiries.  This year the Junior Company received hundreds of expressions of interest from Prix de Lausanne applicants.

Here is an interview with Ernst Meisner, in which he talks about the challenges of leading a Junior Company and some of the achievements of the dancers.

https://www.operaballet.nl/en/online-programme/ten

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Oh, I SO love Balanchine's Valse Fantaisie - I vividly remember a NYCB performance last year this time of that same with Indiana Woodward and Roman Mejia which was total magic.  One of those performances where you end up holding your breath in excited anticipation.  Fortunately Valse Fantasie is VERY short.  This event in Amsterdam sounds very special.   I know how important to the current Royal company in London Mr. Toonga has become.  I fear his input (or at least that I have seen) is not to my particular taste but he clearly has many fans in the forward development of that particular Company.  Thanks so for reporting on it, @li tai po.  

13 hours ago, li tai po said:

In his speech from the stage, Ernst Meisner told us that students entering the Prix de Lausanne are required to state in advance their preference for a ballet school.  It sounds a bit like UCAS.  When he went recruiting in Lausanne before the Junior Company had been set up, he had received just 2 enquiries.  This year the Junior Company received hundreds of expressions of interest from Prix de Lausanne applicants.

Bravo to Ernst and DNB Junior Company 👏👏👏