Giselle - Opera National de Bordeaux - Free to view on Operavision.eu

I saw the recent ENB Giselle.  I haven't seen the cinema showing of Dutch National Ballet's Giselle.  I have greatly enjoyed reading the well informed discussions on the respective forums.  Thanks very much for those comments - especially @Irmgard.  It's greatly improved my appreciation of this ballet.  It was therefore very timely for me to see this version on the Operavision website.  I've enjoyed this production a lot, though I find that I appreciated it more with a second viewing.  

https://operavision.eu/performance/giselle-0

The design and lighting are very different from the usual for a production of Giselle.  On first viewing, I was paying too much attention to those aspects.  It does look very fresh and modern.  On the positive side, the costumes in very clear colours make the characters very easy to identify and follow.  There is a motif running through all aspects of the design giving it a definite unity.  The lighting is very clear in both acts.  I notice that in Act I, the trees are represented as conifers with the branches sloping down.  In Act II, the trees are represented as deciduous with the branches sloping up.  I would love to believe that they are the same trees but turned the other way up!  Probably many people will feel that in Act II, the colours and brightness detract from a ghostly atmosphere.  

The company, dancers and choreographer/stager are unknown to me.  Once I got used to the surprise of the design, I found that I was beguiled by the dancers and dancing.  I really enjoyed the performance.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, Alice Shortcake said:

I'm afraid the designs ruined the production for me. I found them ugly - particularly the pink and magenta outfits worn by some of the men - and at times unintentionally comical.

I understand.  The designs are very different from the usual.  They dominate a first viewing.  My reaction was the same.  Please watch again and let me know what you think of the dancers & staging.  I was very impressed.  Is this company highly regarded?  They are new to me.