Tring Park Sixth Form

lt070809

Hi, I’m 16 years old and have been auditioning for some colleges. So far I have been rejected by two. I still have two to go. My Tring Park audition is in January, and I know I can’t drastically improve in a month, but I was wondering what I could maybe focus on that will take me over the top. I believe that in my most recent audition I was one of the best there, and I did everything as best as I could’ve so I am confused on why I wasn’t accepted but I’m trying not to dwell on it. They don’t provide feedback, so that’s why it’s so difficult to know. Tring Park is the college I want to go to most, so I’m going to put all my energy into it. 

I’m also worried as I attend a state school, do ballet after school and attend many intensives. Will the girls who are in the Year 11 Tring Park Vocational get a higher chance than me because they are known? And I’m quite aware I won’t be as highly trained as them as I obviously do not spend as much time dancing in the day as them (I do about 16 hours a week) 

If anyone could provide any advice from what to train in the coming weeks, to what to do at the audition, or even wear to stand out, that would be highly appreciated. Thank you so much! 

Hi

I think your mindset will be most important factor in doing your best on the day. I can hear in your post some worries about not being as strong as others who are already at vocational school etc but it’s really important to put these thoughts to one side for now and to truly focus on just yourself and bringing your A game.

No one can say what your competitors will be like on the day so it’s irrelevant to waste important energy on worrying. Likewise, it’s really important on the day to be totally focused on yourself. Don’t look at anyone else, worry what they’re wearing or how they’re stretching or warming up. You are there to showcase yourself and that’s all. I would look at the tennis series Breakpoint on Netflix to see how tennis players prepare for a match. It’s very interesting how ‘ in the zone’ they are and the way they get to that point.

My tips - look fabulous. Wear a plain coloured leotard that is flattering and gives a nice shoulder and neckline. Thin straps are usually nice but not everyone can wear them. It should look classical and show a long leg line.

A center parting bun can look nice too. 
Take yourself through a full warm up. It will relax you as well as warming you. Don’t worry that people are watching… that’s their problem!
Tring are keen on high quality classical dancers regardless of whether they want to do ballet or musical theatre so I would focus on sound technique, flexibility and LOTS of performance. From the minute you enter the room, it’s a performance, even when you are standing at the side. Providing you are focused on your technique and corrections then try to go for everything full out to show that you give 100% . If you are doing a solo, try to show a different side of you to show you’re adaptable and willing to try new styles etc. Schools really want students who can move effortlessly between styles.

Most important is to be authentic. If you truly believe in what you do and love it, then others will too. Let the music inspire you and use as much space as you can ( all the dimensions). 
Don’t dance on a postage stamp!

Don’t worry that vocational students will be more able. That simply isn’t true at all. Everyone has their strengths and faults. You just need to show as many strengths as you can on the day!
Good Luck 🤞 

• Like 6

Great advice from Ruby Foo. Stay positive. I know of several non vocational students who have got into Tring  16 hours a week is plenty. Remember you are auditioning for a school so no one is the finished product - you are looking to study there. Good luck ! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Where have you auditioned so far? My daughter’s teacher told her that different schools are looking for different things and you never know what it is, but that the right fit for you will come along. As long as you’ve tried your best that’s all you can do.
There may be other schools you could consider as well, I’m sure some of the members on the forum who have gone through the process may be able to suggest some. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Kerfuffle said:

Great advice from Ruby Foo. Stay positive. I know of several non vocational students who have got into Tring  16 hours a week is plenty. Remember you are auditioning for a school so no one is the finished product - you are looking to study there. Good luck ! 

Thank you so much, this advice is exactly what I was looking for. I’ll keep all this in mind and let you know how it goes! 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Ruby Foo said:

Hi

I think your mindset will be most important factor in doing your best on the day. I can hear in your post some worries about not being as strong as others who are already at vocational school etc but it’s really important to put these thoughts to one side for now and to truly focus on just yourself and bringing your A game.

No one can say what your competitors will be like on the day so it’s irrelevant to waste important energy on worrying. Likewise, it’s really important on the day to be totally focused on yourself. Don’t look at anyone else, worry what they’re wearing or how they’re stretching or warming up. You are there to showcase yourself and that’s all. I would look at the tennis series Breakpoint on Netflix to see how tennis players prepare for a match. It’s very interesting how ‘ in the zone’ they are and the way they get to that point.

My tips - look fabulous. Wear a plain coloured leotard that is flattering and gives a nice shoulder and neckline. Thin straps are usually nice but not everyone can wear them. It should look classical and show a long leg line.

A center parting bun can look nice too. 
Take yourself through a full warm up. It will relax you as well as warming you. Don’t worry that people are watching… that’s their problem!
Tring are keen on high quality classical dancers regardless of whether they want to do ballet or musical theatre so I would focus on sound technique, flexibility and LOTS of performance. From the minute you enter the room, it’s a performance, even when you are standing at the side. Providing you are focused on your technique and corrections then try to go for everything full out to show that you give 100% . If you are doing a solo, try to show a different side of you to show you’re adaptable and willing to try new styles etc. Schools really want students who can move effortlessly between styles.

Most important is to be authentic. If you truly believe in what you do and love it, then others will too. Let the music inspire you and use as much space as you can ( all the dimensions). 
Don’t dance on a postage stamp!

Don’t worry that vocational students will be more able. That simply isn’t true at all. Everyone has their strengths and faults. You just need to show as many strengths as you can on the day!
Good Luck 🤞 

Thank you so much!! This is exactly what I needed. I don’t think I thought too much about performance the last time so I 100% will! I’ll keep all this in mind and let you know how it goes!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, La sylphide said:

Where have you auditioned so far? My daughter’s teacher told her that different schools are looking for different things and you never know what it is, but that the right fit for you will come along. As long as you’ve tried your best that’s all you can do.
There may be other schools you could consider as well, I’m sure some of the members on the forum who have gone through the process may be able to suggest some. 

Hi! So far I auditioned for RBS and CSB, both of which I was rejected. Although I am disappointed I’m really hoping to be offered a place at Tring, hence why I’m so stressed 🤣

Try not to feel like Tring is 'all or nothing'. You might find you like another school better when you go for the audition. That certainly was true for my daughter, who ended up going to Northern Ballet School. She too was at a state school and only dancing evenings and weekends when she auditioned at 16.

• Like 2