Crystal Pite Light of Passage - suitable for children?

Can anyone who has seen this tell me whether it would be disturbing for children aged 6-9 (who are very good with ballets and concerts as a rule, but aren’t great with “scary” scenes in movies?)? There is a session with cheaper prices for children so II guess it can’t be totally unrecommended, but no minimum age is provided and I understand it’s quite a moving piece. Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Garnier said:

Can anyone who has seen this tell me whether it would be disturbing for children aged 6-9 (who are very good with ballets and concerts as a rule, but aren’t great with “scary” scenes in movies?)? There is a session with cheaper prices for children so II guess it can’t be totally unrecommended, but no minimum age is provided and I understand it’s quite a moving piece. Thanks!

I remember it being very PG (some might even say U or G rated-the same rating for children's cartoons) when I  saw it with three generations of my family. There are children dancing in the second act, which they might find interesting. And although Flight Pattern hints that one young woman dies during her travels (it's shown very quickly- blink and you could miss it) and the baby of  Kristen McNally's character either dies en route or sometime before her journey, it's done through mime and suggestion very tastefully- it's not anything that would upset a child, unless they are simply very perceptive and are moved by the dancer's artistry.

A number of us in my section were moved to tears after seeing Flight Passage (Act 1) for the first time, but it's not tears due to anything shocking or scary. None of the kids in out party found it upsetting, and they stayed awake for the whole piece. Gorecki's symphony is quite good at keeping one engaged and absorbed- it's beautifully written.

The fact that it's also a short work with two intervals also made everyone feel "well that was great, we could go on watching that for a bit longer" rather than "ugh, when is it going to be finished?" As long as they aren't expecting princesses with tiaras and fairies in tutus (most or all the women are wearing trousers of some kind), I think it will be enjoyable and interesting for them. The last act looks very shimmery and elegant, and has a very positive feel. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, DVDfan said:

I haven't watched it myself, but if it is Flight Pattern you mean, it  is on the ROH streaming service. You can get a trial period either free or for a small fee, and watch it yourself before showing/taking a child.

Flight Pattern was made first as a one act ballet in a triple bill that included The Human Seasons and After the Rain (the full ballet and not just the pas de deux only). 

Crystal Pite added two acts to Flight Pattern in 2022 and Flight Pattern became Act 1 of Light of Passage. I agree the streaming service is a good way to see Flight Pattern aka Light of Passage Act 1 if one is keen to view it online  before attending in person.

• Like 2