RAD Solo Performance Awards

EverHopeful

My DD did the solo performance award for Grade 3 (in addition to the standard exam). They have to perform the two dances from the syllabus, as well and one other solo of their choice. My DD does festivals and had several solos to choose from, so she danced her Character solo (character as in Narrative, not as in the Ukranian character dance from the syllabus). They go in to the exam studio on their own, perform the dance, come out and change, then go back in and perform the next dance. She enjoyed it but we decided to skip it for Grade 4 (it's an extra cost and she really wasn't fussed about getting an extra certificate/ medal).

In terms of the standard expected, I'd say yes, it is equivalent to what is expected in the full exam. They are obviously looking for performance quality, as well as technique. My DD got high distinctions for both Grade 3 exams (main exam and solo performance award). However, her mark for the main exam was 5 marks higher than her mark for the solo performance award. She is a strong performer and was happy with the mark for the solo award but she obviously picked up marks for technique in the main exam that she might not have been able to showcase in the solo performance award. 

I'd say if you are a dancer who loves to perform, it gives you an extra chance to show your skills and it is a fun thing to do. If you have solos outside the syllabus dances, it also doesn't require much extra work. From my DD's point of view, it doesn't really add much to her development/ sense of achievement so she is happy to focus on the main exam. 

• Like 1

My DC have both done solo performance exams alongside the standard exams and I would agree with pretty much everything that @BalletGirlAndBoy has said. It was a 'nice to do' rather than something I would say either of them got a lot out of. They used an existing comp solo (and costume) for the third dance so it didn't require much effort, but I kind of just felt we were paying for an extra certificate which neither of them was particularly bothered about. 

In my experience, though, the marks for SPA have been a few marks higher than their marks for the graded exams. There wasn't much in it though tbh. 

I think if you don't do festivals/comps then maybe it is a good chance to really focus on the performance aspect, however I think for my two, the experience of doing competitions has been more beneficial in that respect (not that I'm a massive fan of competitions to be honest but it does let you get out on stage regularly and work on performance skills). 

• Like 2