Elmhurst lower school audition

Laura_ballet

@Thelittleswans A jazz/ contemporary lesson is indeed part of the Elmhurst audition. My student (current Year 7) had never done either so found the class quite hard but I think they just like to see how they move.

The Elmhurst audition ballet class consisted of:

Simple barre

Skip and flick

Relevé in 5th, pirouette

Simple jumps

Grand battement in 4 counts in centre

There was also a physio assessment which involved a look at their feet, spines, hips and general flexibility. 

The Tring audition classes were much more challenging in content, comprising:

Pliés, tendus, grands battements and developpés at barre

Pirouettes from the corner (doubles if poss)

Developpés and arabesques in the centre

Tendus, relevés and pirouettes in the centre

Various petit allegro exercises

The physio just checked turnout and feet

The jazz class was learning a routine rather than exercises.

In the academic test they had to write about their life. They also did online VR tests.

They had to perform a pre-prepared solo and afterwards they asked my pupil two questions: where she was from and how long she’d been dancing.

Hope that’s helpful! 

@MissEmilythank you so much for all the information. We are thinking of YDA also, any experience with their audition process? WL is first choice and she is already a JA so I assume it will be a ballet class similar to what they are used to and I believe final audition they have an interview. I’m trying to mentally prepare for the year ahead, i already feel overwhelmed, so it’s really great to have some more information thank you 

@thelittleswans My pupil auditioned for WL, Elmhurst, Tring, Moorland and YDA last year so I can answer any questions you have about any of them.

She missed the preliminary audition for YDA because she had Covid but they put her straight through to finals so they could still have a look at her. The class was more similar to the Tring one, so had more challenging content. They also performed their solo. We had lovely, personal feedback from them after the audition and I felt it would have been a good option if we’d been able to find accommodation for her in London, but she had her heart set on Elmhurst by then anyway!

• Like 1