Prof Ann Loades CBE service of celebration of her life

I'm not sure where to post this so I'll put it here.

Evensong to celebrate the life of Professor Ann Loades CBE 1938-2022 Friday 9th June 2023

On Friday evening there was a service in Durham Cathedral for the life of Professor Ann Loades CBE, theologian and also, for many decades,  teacher of Cecchetti ballet.

A great deal  I could say about Ann and her numerous achievements, but it's all more eloquently expressed in the many obituaries online.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jan/17/ann-loades-obituary

At around 1.05 in this recording of the service,  there is a demonstration of a couple of my favourites of the beautiful (and yes difficult but so rewarding) Cecchetti adages, and the second set of port de bras.

https://www.facebook.com/durhamcathedral/videos/638362924985722/

I'm sure she'd have been shouting corrections and encouragement from wherever.

Rest in power Ann.

This is also about Ann (embedded link, official channel):

Ann Loades was Honorary Professorial Fellow of St. Chad’s College and Professor Emerita in Divinity at the University of Durham, UK, where she was the first woman to be given a chair personal to herself. She was also Honorary Professor in the School of Divinity, University of St. Andrews, Scotland, and one of only two people ever to be awarded a CBE by the Queen for services to theology. Ann passed away on Dec 6, 2022

Edited by Ondine
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, RHowarth said:

Ann trained me for my Intermediate Cecchetti. A formidable woman with many strings to her bow. There aren't many left like her and she is greatly missed! 

Yes. And also, great fun, and hugely generous.

Somewhere she'll be snorting away with that laugh of hers at all this ridiculous fuss, services in cathedrals and all that! 

• Like 1