Ballet Ohne Grenzen Zurich Friday Feb 3

In case anyone is in or near Zurich there are a few tickets left for this gala on Friday bringing together dancers displaced due to the invasion of Ukraine...

https://www.ballettohnegrenzen.ch/

I’m going but am not in any way qualified to post a review afterwards, am just cheering on the boy (and taking him cheese, because that what you do I guess)....

Edited by CeliB
Spelling
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• CeliB changed the title to Ballet Ohne Grenzen Zurich Friday Feb 3
36 minutes ago, CeliB said:

In case anyone is in or near Zurich there are a few tickets left for this gala on Friday bringing together dancers displaced due to the invasion of Ukraine...

https://www.ballettohnegrenzen.ch/

I’m going but am not in any way qualified to post a review afterwards, am just cheering on the boy (and taking him cheese, because that what you do I guess)....

If you’re going, would definitely like to read your review/thoughts after seeing it! Unfortunately, I wouldn’t (nor can many of us) be able to make it to Zürich, so any reports (and photographs of the bows/curtain calls if you have any) would be most welcome. I see a few familiar names in the lineup- Xander Parish, Vsevolod Maievskyi, Yekaterina Chebykina, Ksenia Ovsyannick, Oskar Frame, etc etc

Edited by Emeralds

The show is produced by Natalia Gromova, mother of Laura Fernandez-Gromova who is now a principal at State Ballet of Georgia, previously at Mariinsky (corps de ballet), Stanislavsky (soloist) and guest lead with PoluninInk inbetween.  Laura completed her training at Vaganova after winning the best Swiss candidate prize at Prix de Lausanne.   Mum is Ukrainian, Dad is Spanish and their home base is Switzerland.  Hence the location of the gala. 

Laura and Xander Parish are performing a pdd by Juliano Nunes at the PdL gala on this same weekend. 

Edited by FionaE
Correct autocorrect

Why is Alina Somova among the dancers??? Will the Mariinsky let her dance at such an event? Will they let her out of the country? Will the Ukrainian dancers get on stage with her? At Wiesbaden, Germany, Ukrainian musicians refuse to appear with Anna Netrebko - I know that Somova is not Netrebko, but her name seems very odd in that gala.

49 minutes ago, Angela said:

Why is Alina Somova among the dancers??? Will the Mariinsky let her dance at such an event? Will they let her out of the country? Will the Ukrainian dancers get on stage with her? At Wiesbaden, Germany, Ukrainian musicians refuse to appear with Anna Netrebko - I know that Somova is not Netrebko, but her name seems very odd in that gala.

I am not sure about the situation of Alina Somova, but I have a friend who dances at State Ballet of Georgia and he told me that Somova is staying in Georgia for quite a long time (about six months) and joined creation with Ilya Jivoy (who left Russia) for Carmina Burana. It seems she has not returned to Russia since then, although she is still listed as Mariinsky's principal and has not publicly criticized Russia. There are quite a few dancers in Georgia who had left Russia, such as Fernandez.  

• Thanks 1

There have been galas recently including both Russians still based in Russia, with dancers (of all nationalities) from Europe together.  There’s another in Cyprus soon including Bolshoi (Tsvirko and Kretova), ENB, DNB, Berlin and others.  

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CoE_Fqvg59R/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

After the Bolshoi dancer incident in Tashkent I doubt any would risk dancing abroad without permission again.  

And Vishneva is currently deputy chair on the PdL jury. 

I for one am glad that ballet is being more inclusive 

Edited by FionaE

On 31/01/2023 at 22:25, Emeralds said:

If you’re going, would definitely like to read your review/thoughts after seeing it! Unfortunately, I wouldn’t (nor can many of us) be able to make it to Zürich, so any reports (and photographs of the bows/curtain calls if you have any) would be most welcome. I see a few familiar names in the lineup- Xander Parish, Vsevolod Maievskyi, Yekaterina Chebykina, Ksenia Ovsyannick, Oskar Frame, etc etc

oh sure, I guess I know there are many people on this forum who are international and may have been close enough...I'll do my best to report back but with the caveat that I am a total ignoramus as far as any form of dance goes - tbh hadn't planned to go until I found out Oscar and Katya are dancing Jivoy's 'A Flashback'- DH took one look at the choreography and booked tickets (and he doesn't even like dance all that much haha)...

• Like 3

17 hours ago, CeliB said:

oh sure, I guess I know there are many people on this forum who are international and may have been close enough...I'll do my best to report back but with the caveat that I am a total ignoramus as far as any form of dance goes - tbh hadn't planned to go until I found out Oscar and Katya are dancing Jivoy's 'A Flashback'- DH took one look at the choreography and booked tickets (and he doesn't even like dance all that much haha)...

We were all total ignoramuses (ignorami?? 😆) when we first started watching ballet, so you are in good company! Great idea by your DH to book tickets! Hope you both enjoyed the performances!  Let us know what you both thought! 👍