Dance school of Scotland

EvangelineB

Hi,

My daughter attended The Dance School of Scotland open day last week and is very interested in starting S1 there next year.

She has been dancing various styles for around 8 years but was slightly later to ballet so is currently working on her Grade 2. 

I'm a bit concerned that many of other the other kids auditioning attend junior associate classes and some have even been in professional ballet productions.

Do you think it will go against her at the audition that she may not have as much experience as some of the other kids?

The important factors are her physical suitability, musicality and performance skills. At this stage it’s all about potential. It won’t matter that she hasn’t had the experience of the others  or that her technique is not as advanced, providing she goes into the audition with confidence ( strong eyeline and expressive face - usually smiling at this young age)

As your daughter has been doing other types of dance then she probably knows how to perform and to have the confidence to show herself off to her best in the audition, which is very important. 

If she hasn’t done an audition before then try to ask someone who has, for some tips so your daughter is well prepared.

Hi. My daughter has just completed 5 years at DSS and is now in her first year at Central. When she auditioned at age 11, she hadn’t done any ballet exams or productions. Most of the other children had. It didn’t seem to matter. I think they are looking for confidence, musicality, sense of performance and enjoyment and a certain amount of physical aptitude. They seemed to all go over the basics again in first year. She needs to go in and enjoy it. My daughter had a fantastic 5 years at DSS.