You can tell that I am excited about this ballet because I am writing this review mmediately after watching the show and driving over 74 miles from the theatre..  The work that I have just seen is Ballet Cymru's Dream by Darius James and Amy Doughty. at Theatr Clwyd in Mold  I have long been a fan of that ompany and I think that this is its best work yet.  I am so impressed with it that I am seriously tempted to cancel plans to spend the jubilee weekend in London and see the baller again in Bangor on 4 June.

As the title suggests it is based on Shakespeare's play but it is nothing like the interpretations of the play by Ashton, Maillot, Nixon, Pita or even James and Doughty's earlier Midsummer Night's Dream.    For a start thetre is an original score performed on stage by Frank Moon.  There are some novel characters such as "Lysandia" and "Hermia's Mum" and "Hermia's Dad" double as Titania and Oberon.  Otherwise the ballet follows the play pretty faithfully with Puck mixing up the lovers, Bottom changing into an ass and Pyramus and Thisbe.   The mechanicals' play was  hilarious.   I particularly liked Wall and the Man in the Moon  in a space suit 

Robbie Moocroft danced Oberon and Isobel Holland Titania as well as Hermia's mum and dad.  Kotone Sugyama was Hermia, Beth Meadway Helena. Caitlin Jones Lysandia and Jacob Hornsey Demetrius and Bottom.  Sanea Singh made a very impressive Puck.

One of the reasons why I admire Ballet Cymru so much is that its Duets programme intoduces ballet to children in rural and inner city primary schools who might otherwise not get a chance to see it.    The company operates that programme in cooperation with community dance bodies throughout Wales.   Before the show chiidren in the programme showed their skills in a short performance.  At the very least childeren on the programme should develop a life long interest in dance.   For a few it may even encourage them to make a career in dance. 

• Like 8

49 minutes ago, trog said:

Are they still using the umbrellas? The Dream was the first ballet by Ballet Cymru I saw and it has always been a favourite.

I like their old Midsummer Night's Dream too but I like yesterday's version even more.  It is a completely different production.  They use a lot of other props from dustbin lids, cereal packets and tents but I don't remember any brollies.