Dance Sampled - 3rd March 2017

I saw this at the Birmingham Hippodrome Friday evening, and with a mixed bag of dance, I knew before hand that there would be some that I love, some that I hate and some that I would be indifferent too. One thing that you could not complain about was the lack of diversity. The cost was excellent too, at only £15, although there were many offers going, so I only paid £10.

Before the show, there was lots of dance performances in the foyers of the Hippodrome. I saw some Morris Men, some contemporary and there was something going on in the restaurant, but I couldn't see what. I also missed the flash mob, which sounded as though it would have been lots of fun!

As to the show proper, the pieces were preceded by a short film interview of the dancers or choreographer. The evening opened with Aakash Odedra Company with a piece called #JeSuis. Supposedly about refugees, I thought it was quite dull. The dancers started wrapped in cling film lying on the floor in in a heap. The escaped the cling film and then either rolled around on the floor or bent over at the waist.

Next came the BRB's Jenna Roberts and Brandon Lawrence dancing the pdd from Jessica Lang's Lyric Pieces. As expected they danced superbly. Brandon gave a lovely interview as the introduction.  I think the choice of a modern piece rather than a pdd from Nutcracker/Sleeping Beauty/Swan Lake, etc was a good one. Many in the audience probably think ballet is all tutus and tiaras. My only complaint was that it was too short; an extra pdd or a couple of solos would have rounded out the section.

Tango next with Julia Urruty and Claudio Gonzalez. With both dancers wearing fat suits, (Julia with impossibly large curves), it was a very funny piece to watch. Characters that you see on the tango floor, exaggerated to perfection. The fat suits in no way impeded the dazzling footwork.

The first half ended with an extract of Gypsy Mixture by the Richard Alston Dance Company. The intro said that this was a party that would make you want to get up and dance. I found it OKish but it really went no where. Perhaps you needs to see the entire piece?

The second half opened with Acosta Danza performing Derrumbe. This was a piece of contemporary dance about the breakup of a couple. Supposedly clothing is used as a metaphor for the baggage and emotions of life. Again I felt that this really went no where.

The tango came back (hooray!) with a piece about life in Buenos Aires. The rain, the noise of the traffic, people connecting and moving on, all brilliantly presented with fab dancing. This was pure Argentinian tango, fantastic to watch.

Connor Scott, BBC Young Dance of the Year 2015 presented a short piece called White Water danced to a jazz score. I was pretty indifferent to this. Parts were OK but I felt he looked a bit lost on his own on the Hippodrome stage.

Finally came Iron Skulls Sinestesia. Introduced by Jonzi D (why?), this was supposed to be a hip-hop telling of a dystopian future. The gas masks were about a subtle as a sledge hammer in showing dystopia. I'm afraid I find hip-hop boring - repetitive music (for people with short attention spans) and while athletic, throwing yourself around lacks rhythm. There is no contrast.

It was an excellent evening's entertainment and the Hippodrome was very nearly full. The Hippordome has presented this event before, with different acts. I hope it becomes an annual event. This is a Sadlers Wells production and I think it is on tour although there are different acts performing, depending on where it is.

• Like 2