Rory wins the FedEx Cup!

Melody

Yes, I know - golf, boring - but that was bloody brilliant.

Rory McIlroy won the TOUR championship, and the FedEx Cup along with it, by hitting a birdie on the fourth playoff hole after tying for the lead with two other players after 18 holes, including an insanely wonderful eagle on 16. Then, after three closely fought playoff holes, two of them were back on 16 and McIlroy holed a long putt for a birdie. They're going to need to name that hole after him.

Now I'm sitting here with no fingernails left. :D :D :D

• Like 1

I watched it Melody, and after the first two play off holes both on 18, I really thought Rory had blown it. What a putt that was by Ryan Moore on the second PO hole, to half it. The shot for me was Rory's second on 18, hitting it to about 6 ft from 211 yds, the height he got was incredible. It made me want to go get my clubs out and start playing again, I think I might have a bash at the range sometime this week. :)

Oh, I agree, he had a lot more going for him on the par 5's, and I still don't know what he was doing with that approach shot on the second playoff hole. I thought he'd lost momentum after those two playoff holes, but he's more mature than he used to be. Mind you, I didn't think he had a hope of sinking that last putt on 16, since his putting game hasn't been great this year, at least until very recently.

I thought, considering his play during the playoffs last year, that he deserved to win the FedEx cup then, but the format meant he didn't. So I was really glad to see him win this year.

Such a shame that Jason Day had to withdraw twice in a row. I remember some months ago, Nick Faldo (who commentates on the CBS channel over here) saying that he'd love to watch a tournament where Day, McIlroy, and Spieth were all playing at their peak. That really would be quite something.

If you did get your clubs out, I hope you had a good time.

Edited by Melody

Nah I didn't get chance Melody, far too many other things going on at present. I've lost a little bit on the golf scene at the minute, but what's the new handicapping system all about? I used to love playing in the Alliance comps, even the ones right through the winter months, and had quite a lot of success in them, both as a team member and an individual. I understand you get 90% of your handicap as opposed to 3/4, it was hard enough playing someone say off 14, but now it's even harder. I know someone who has a handicap of say 5 (me) is supposed to be a better player than someone 14, but there were a lot of bandits around on the old system, so like I said it will be even tougher now for the low players. What's your thoughts, as I may be reading it wrong?

Honestly, I don't know anything about the handicapping system; I just watch golf, I'm not a player. My husband is the golfer in the family, and I asked him about the new handicapping system and he just sort of shrugged. He belongs to a couple of local senior leagues and said that there are always some players who'll try and game the system, however it's set up, so he doesn't worry about it any more. I do remember a few years ago he was pretty vocal about people trying to manipulate their handicaps, but that was when he was more competitive - now he doesn't bother about it too much.

Edited by Melody