PRS licence survey for dance teachers

hfbrew

Really urge all dance teachers out there to complete this survey by Monday. The new charges being proposed by PRS have big implications for the costs of running dance classes, especially small ones. For example a fee of approx. £1 per class taught regardless of length of class taught or number of students.  So four 30 minute "Baby" classes would cost £4, one 2 hour  long class just £1. A private lesson would be liable to the same fee as a class of 20! It doesn't sound a lot to begin with but if a school is running 20-30 classes a week then over the course of a year the costs mount up considerably.

I don't have any objection to paying PRS fees by the way but the proposals mean a huge increase in costs which will inevitably impact on fees charged to students. Currently I pay a fee that is based on a consultation with PRS about the size of the school as a whole. Part of the proposed changes is to put the onus on Hall owners which would inevitably drive up rents. I also don't think its reasonable to ask scout halls etc to have this extra hassle- the onus should be on the hirers themselves to ensure all licences and insurances are in place.

Apparently the new proposals are on a survey completed by only 600 teachers worldwide a couple of years back. As it is I was only made aware of this yesterday thanks to the RAD e-mailing their teachers.

Here is the link, I hope it works.

http://www.prsformusic.com/users/businessesandliveevents/musicforbusinesses/customerconsultation/fitness-dance/pages/default.aspx