Yuan Yuan Tan, S.F. Ballet’s longest-dancing principal, to retire this year

https://www.sfchronicle.com/entertainment/article/sf-ballet-yuan-yuan-tan-18602768.php

Interesting that just like Amy Harris she will retire from dancing as Marguerite in Frederick Ashton’s “Marguerite and Armand”. I wonder is she too will wear the red dress for her final curtain.

Yuan Yuan Tan and Aaron Robison in rehearsal for Frederick Ashton's Marguerite and Armand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=809VYUwV5hw

Edited by RiaandB
Adding second link.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Very sad to receive this news from SFB (where Tan holds the record for being longest serving company principal) even though I knew the day would come.

Still dancing with the stamina and virtuosity of a 20 year old, the ever enchanting Yuan Yuan has visited Britain several times, dancing at the Royal Opera House, Sadler's Wells and Edinburgh Festival with San Francisco Ballet and other performances/projects. She's danced just about every lead role and the World Ballet Day clips of her rehearsals are as compelling as watching a livestreamed stage performance (the videos of her in Raku and in Giselle might still be available in cyberspace.) I'd love to see her as Marguerite!

If Ballet Icons Gala organisers are reading this, hope they are considering inviting her over to dance (anything will do!) in March. Tan has said she's not retiring from dancing, only from SFB. Coincidentally, her SFB farewell performance falls on the day of her birthday! 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

Tamara Rojo's last performance with the Royal Ballet was also as Marguerite - with Sergei Polunin as Armand. I happened to be in London, unexpectedly, at the time and queued from 11 a.m. to get two returns. I was thrilled to be there. So I expect the choice of Marguerite for the lovely Yuan Yuan Tan's last performance with SF Ballet has a lot to do with the company director's own memories.

• Like 3