RBS Summer Intensive-Travel to and from

expatballetmom

Hi- DD will be headed to RBS SI in August and had a question about travelling to and from for drop off and pick up. The handbook suggests taking train to Richmond and then taking a cab. Also, it mentions getting a parks pass for the cab? Just curious based on those with experience- is that the best way to go about it? Also, having never been, will it be easy to get a cab coming back to the train station once drop off is completed? And final one, are parents just dropping off at the door and leaving or are we able to help settle in? Thank you for any insight you may have! 

Hi, I can’t answer about the travel as I drove there. So once I arrived I went with ds through to get him registered, they went over if he has any allergies etc. Once they’ve got their checklist ticked off my ds was told to wait outside for a houseparent to take them accross to their accommodation and I left. Xx

• Like 1

Hi - yes the easiest way to get there from Central London is to take the tube to Richmond and then get a taxi from there into the park. There are usually taxis waiting in the rank outside the front entrance of Richmond Station, and if not then just stand there for a few minutes and one will likely turn up. It will cost around £15 and takes around 15 mins max. 

We have done that journey maybe 6/7 times now and we've never had any bother with showing a park pass, but if you want to be organised you can ask RBS to email one to you and then print it off so you have it with you if needed. 

In terms of getting back again, that's the slightly trickier bit as you never quite know the exact timings. Last year there was a LOT of hanging around while they did all the covid tests but this year I imagine drop off will take a lot less time. 

The best firm I have found for pick-up is Riverside Cars - 020 8878 7777 - but I don't know how long it would take them to come and get you if you were just to call when ready. I'm guessing at least 20 mins or so even if they had a car available right away. You might be better to phone them in advance and book a car to pick you up say 30 mins or so after your daughter's drop off time. 

The other option for getting back is to walk back out through the park to Richmond station (maybe 50 mins or so) or to walk to the closer park entrance at Sheen Gate and arrange a taxi to meet you there. It's a slightly awkward place to get to and from without a car - we are in the same situation!