Is it worth becoming a friend of ROH

On 29/06/2022 at 21:47, Angela Essex said:

Thank you. No I’m not a huge opera fan and also I’d be broke if I was 😂 I sat in row E - centre of Amphi for Nunez/Vadim swan lake and it was too far away - is the front much better than row E? 

For me it is more of a psychological difference or benefit- that nobody is in front of you so they can’t bob up halfway and block your view. So I would prefer row A to the side than row E dead centre if that’s how the seat sales have progressed by the time public booking opens. Ballet does look better dead centre than near or at the sides, because of the line of the choreography (maybe something that non-dancers or those who never studied dance would care about). I used to prefer dead centre but now that I’ve seen so many productions repeatedly that I don’t miss it, and quite like the quirkiness of the side view. I also go often with a buddy who is a musician and likes being able to see the orchestra which is hard to do from the dead centre seats, so this new approach actually turned out to be interesting. Eg I found Jewels, the recent DGV triple bill, and Romeo and Juliet even more exciting  if I watched them from a more side view seat. 

PS I have seen a lot of standing tickets go up for sale during Friday Rush- am sure I’ve seen a few SCS ones too. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1