Ballet Memorabilia

Hi everyone,

I've signed up to connect with you, and hoping that you can help me. I'm hoping I'm ok posting this request here?

My mother sadly passed away recently, and has left the family with a large collection of items from her ballet following days back in the 80's & 90's. She was a regular at the Royal Opera House and had a particular liking for Wayne Eagling. There are loads of items of memorabilia inlcuding programs inlcudin casting sheets, ticket stubs, magazines plus other items such as posters, some signed photo's of Wayne Eagling, and a pair of pointe shoes signed by Fiona Chadwick. She also kept loads of newspaper cuttings which were mainly used to populate a couple of large scrap books. As there are a few beneficiaries, and some are her grandchildren, we are hoping to raise some funds from the sale of the items. I'm hoping there are some kind folks here that can point me in the right direction / advise on best route to take to sell.

Hello, first of all sorry for your loss.

I wouldn't say I'm an expert on the topic, but probably your best chance is either eBay or some music bookshop.

For instance, in London Travis & Emery Music Bookshop sells some old programs, but they're quite cheap (like 4£ each). The only slightly expensive program I saw was for a Romeo & Juliet performance with Nureyev and Fonteyn, and even that was around 20£. They might be interested in buying some programs, but I think it's a very small part of their sales so I doubt they'd offer you more than 20 or 30£ for a box of them. They also have a section for autographed pictures, so they might be interested in those, although to be honest you might get luckier and sell them for more on eBay. As for the shoes I have no idea - I'm sure someone on here would be interested, if not eBay or something similar might still be the better option.

22 hours ago, AnticaFiamma said:

Hello, first of all sorry for your loss.

I wouldn't say I'm an expert on the topic, but probably your best chance is either eBay or some music bookshop.

For instance, in London Travis & Emery Music Bookshop sells some old programs, but they're quite cheap (like 4£ each). The only slightly expensive program I saw was for a Romeo & Juliet performance with Nureyev and Fonteyn, and even that was around 20£. They might be interested in buying some programs, but I think it's a very small part of their sales so I doubt they'd offer you more than 20 or 30£ for a box of them. They also have a section for autographed pictures, so they might be interested in those, although to be honest you might get luckier and sell them for more on eBay. As for the shoes I have no idea - I'm sure someone on here would be interested, if not eBay or something similar might still be the better option.

Thanks for your considered reply. Ebay is the obvious place I guess, but your suggestion of the bookshop makes sense too, if we end up with some items that remain unsold. My concerns with ebay is that the items would not get enough focusssed exposure to the right people. I don't expect that many individual items will sell at a high amount, but combined value would be more notable... there are hundreds of items.