Johan Renvall RIP

It seems the Swedish born ABT dancer, Johan Renvall, has died.  I'm not sure if he ever danced in London but certainly he did originate the role of the golden idol in Makarova's production of La Bayadere in 1980 such as is currently danced in the repertory of the Royal Ballet.  

If you pull through to 37.45 of the following clip you will be able to see him in that solo.  Ms. Makarova danced all of the opening performance as Nikiya (opposite Sir Anthony Dowell's - then an ABT principal and, of course, later to be a director of the Royal Ballet - Solor).  She would only dance the first act of the relay - the production's second performance - and would never perform in her production again although she had been scheduled.  (The first part is also on youtube as it happens.) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0-WFwU_-qQ

Here is a short film focusing on Mr. Renvall

He was a lovely and talented man.

RIP

Edited by Bruce Wall

Oh, I'm sorry.  That may have been my error.  I can tell you, however, that Johan Renvall was a wonderful Bronze Idol in that original production.  

Just to show that I've not gone COMPLETELY round the bend here is a (very poor) pirated film of him dancing it and segments from a Corsaire pas.  

Marianna Tcherkassky was a lovely dancer too, frequently partnered with Bujones (they had been students together at SAB) and - if I remember correctly - danced Giselle to Baryishnikov's last ABT Albrecht.  She is now a ballet mistress with Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre where her husband (Terry Orr, ex-ABT) is the AD. 

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...