Bolshoi in London 2016

All I can say is that for those who can only responsibly afford standing room, the ROH is a total GODSEND.  

There are seats in the balcony at the Coliseum that are equally affordable, often at the front, and the view from the front of the balcony is far better than the front amphi at the ROH. Plus (and more importantly for opera) the balcony provides the best sound in the house.

• Like 2

There are seats in the balcony at the Coliseum that are equally affordable, often at the front, and the view from the front of the balcony is far better than the front amphi at the ROH. Plus (and more importantly for opera) the balcony provides the best sound in the house.

IF your bottom has the constitution of concrete - which is basically what you're sitting on

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to check out hotels. The prizes charged for the last week of July are ridiculously high - what's going on in town at that time. Not the Olympics again I suppose...

For July 2916?

For July 2916?

Yes, Jane. I'm trying to figure out when to go to London when the Bolshoi comes over in summer 2016. Out of curiosity I wanted to see what the hotel options are and they are more expensive than usual - really over-the-top prizes and I can't figure out why. The Tour de France is starting slightly prior to the Bolshoi, but that cannot be the only reason, can it ?

Seriously though Farfalina, have you looked at Superbreak ?

I hadn't used this company for a long time (they were best known for integrated rail/hotel bookings) but recently discovered that a hotel I had used in the past was £20 per night cheaper on Superbreak than via the hotel's own website or other internet booking companies!  You do have to pay up front but that is also the case with many hotels with their offers.

• Like 2

2 weeks ago we booked Ibis London City for less than £75 per night for the last weekend this July. No breakfast and know it will be basic but easy walk from Liverpool Street station which is few tube stops from Holborn.

Tune hotels at both Kings Cross and Spitalfields, basic and clean. Both stayed in recently for less than £80/night for two.

Both of these often have promotions as do other chains.

London like all the European cities is expensive but often pay less here than on mainland Europe for a similar hotel.

As mentioned during the summer university halls are available and quality varies. Imperial College has been good.

Might be that the prices are high to catch the very early bookers. Nearer the time rooms may be more reasonable.

We're travelling quite often to London, so I would think we're familiar with the hotel market - maybe it's still very early. Thanks for the recommendations with Superbreak and Universities. I didn't know those and will keep them in mind in case that first impression becomes reality. However, due to job restrictions I will only be able to travel either the first or the last week and I will decide that when the programm will be released.

if you're thinking of university halls of residence I highly recommend that you DON'T stay at LSE's Bankside House(right behind the Tate Modern. my choir stayed their twice. the beds are fiendishly uncomfortable and it's stiflingly hot

• Like 1

I've stayed a few times with the LSE and they can be quite good though their prices are creeping up so they're not as cheap as they were (never stayed at the Bankside one though). However, the Grosvenor House and High Holborn options are only a 5 minute walk from the ROH. The High Holborn has a 1 or 2 bedroomed flat which we enjoyed staying in when Stuttgart ballet were doing Taming of the Shrew. I think High Holborn does continental breakfast but Grosvenor House is self-catering. Northumberland Ave (off Trafalgar Square) is my favourite though that has got quite expensive. Rooms are en suite though it is self catering. However, there are plenty of kitchens you can use to get a drink or prepare food. The website is www.lsevacations.co.uk. They even have a Halls in Rosebery Ave in case anyone want to go to Sadlers Wells. if you want en suite it is always worth emailing them to ask if they've got anything even in term time; sometimes they have vacant visitors rooms.

The Covent Garden Travelodge is situated close by the ROH on Drury lane. It is difficult to get a reasonable price for it but I have managed it occasionally.

There is a Hotel Group called Imperial hotels which has several hotels based in Bloomsbury at not too expensive (by London) standards. The nearest is the Bedford; about a 10 minute walk from the ROH. I stay more in the Tavistock in Tavistock Square about a 5 minute walk from Euston just because it's a bit cheaper. Excellent breakfasts at both. if you stay at the Bedford be sure to get a room at the back which overlooks their lovely little garden. the front looks out onto Southampton Row and is very noisy. You can open your window wide at both hotels; something I find essential in London in the summer. Like Janet said if you want to stay at weekends (Friday to Sunday) it is worth going via Superbreak to see what they can offer. I've had significant savings for the Imperial Group hotels but only at weekend. During the week they double the weekend price so it is more expensive than the Groups own website.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...