Bolshoi in London 2016

The Bolshoi will be in London from 25 July - 13 August 2016 at the ROH.

http://www.bolshoi.ru/r/_content/cc9f1467ac9e145158d16c326b2e512e/240%20season.pdf

They'll be performing Don Quixote, Swan Lake, Le Corsaire, Flames of Paris & The Taming of the Shrew.

Looks like a very expensive summer (with New York City Ballet in Paris earlier in the month).

Edited by ambros1a
  • Like 6

I'll see you in both places, Ambros1a.  Perhaps we should meet up in Paris.  I just yesterday booked a flat in Montmarte between 27/6 and 17/7/16 allowing me to go to all the NYCB performances and hoping (against hope) that the dates would work out with the Bolshoi in London.  Someone was smiling.  (Doesn't happen to me all that often).  This is TOO PERFECT!!!  

Wonder if Osipova will guest with Vasiliev in the Bolshoi Don Q ... (I like that one) ... much as they did with the Mikhailovsky this season in NYC?  

So looking forward to The Taming of the Shrew.  

Would have liked to see the Marco Spada and even the Hamlet that Ryo's Bolshoi friend initially suggested ... but, hey, this line-up looks dandy ... and there is no question but that I think it should sell out.  See Mrs. Hochhauser got her way ... i.e., with the SL.  (That will save me a little money.)    

(I know someone on the BcoF board said they thought that the Shrew would not sell .... Myself I suspect for just a few performances at the ROH they will be safe given the increased body of tourists at that time being drawn to (i) the ROH brand and (ii) the Bolshoi tag.  Shakespeare's title shouldn't hurt either.  That's what I call a 'triple whammy'.  (Now if it was Cranko's Taming with Stuttgart in London at Sadler's you certainly couldn't say the same thing ... but then Sadler's is not primarily a ballet venue.)  Look at Flames of Paris last time the Bolshoi were at the ROH .... There was the same concern. It was a slow draw (apart from the Vasipova performance which sold out first of ANY production performance) but they did eventually see that all three Flames were 'chocker'.  The Hochhauser slate swiped clean.

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

FABULOUS!!!!! No one does Don Q like the Bolshoi and I hope they can persuade Osipova/Vasiliev to guest for Don Q and Flames. Hopefully see Mercuriev also; some good roles for him. I did like him in Flames. My only small gripe would be I'd prefer Marco Spada to either Corsaire or Shrew (I much prefer the Mariinsky's Corsaire to the Bolshoi's and I've got severe withdrawal symptoms for it as I don't think they've performed it here since about 2000). Anyway, a splendid line up though interestingly only full length ballets; no Ballet Russes or modern programme of shorts. The only problem I have is knowing which weeks leave to book as I don't think I'm able to book 3 weeks together and I suppose it will be a while before the programming is published.

• Like 1

Don Quixote, Corsaire and Flames of Paris are marvellous productions that show the Bolshoi at it's best, not sure about Taming of the Shrew, shame about Swan Lake ( unless it's a new production instead of the tired old Grigorovich one)  does this really have to be thrown in for commercial reasons (answer yes),  would have liked a modern triple bill and maybe Lady of the Camellias instead, then it would have been perfect.

So relieved they are coming to the ROH and not the Coliseum!!!

• Like 1

Well, I'll hold fire on Shrew until I've seen the cinema broadcast :).  I for one, though, am glad they aren't bringing Marco Spada: I might have given that one a miss.

There are some substantial chunks of the Bolshoi Shrew on You Tube (one section is over half an hour long) if you want to get a sense of what it is like.  (Not sure if it is still available online, but the Bolshoi section of World Ballet Day included Maillot rehearsing Lantratov and Krysanova in the piece.)

So relieved they are coming to the ROH and not the Coliseum!!!

Really?  At the Coli you can see from virtually every seat whereas at the ROH half the seats are restricted in some way and those with a clear view are either miles from the stage or massively expensive.

• Like 6

Really?  At the Coli you can see from virtually every seat whereas at the ROH half the seats are restricted in some way and those with a clear view are either miles from the stage or massively expensive.

I think that's right, but has to be balanced with the much more pleasant overall experieince of attending a performance at the ROH.  The Coli has dingy, unbelieveably cramped bar areas for the intervals, which I find miserable to spend time in; and, at least in the stalls area, the toilet facilites are pretty disgusting and always reek - such a consistent problem it is hard to understand why they don't/can't fix it.  (The interior of the Coli auditorium always strikes me as tacky, but that's just a question of taste.)  The dance and the viewing experience are. of course, more important, but I always find my visits to the Coli tainted by the problems with the parts of the theatre outside the auditorium itself. 

• Like 2

The bars at the ROH are just as crowded and I've never been in a 'reeking' toilet at the Coliseum though I have experienced taps that you can't turn on/off and bins overflowing with paper towels that spill out over the floor in the ROH.  I also prefer the Coliseum ambiance which unlike Covent Garden doesn't feel as if you've wandered into an old people's home - particularly on ballet evenings.

If you don't like Edwardian styles of theatre décor I suppose you could just stay away, but does it really matter when the lights go down? 

I like the Coliseum location, the theatre architecture and the less stuffy atmosphere, but my problem is the view from the seats which are not well raked or spaced, it can't just be me as there are always people trying to change seats in the intervals, this is mainly the Dress and Upper Circles, the Balcony is better but very uncomfortable, whereas I nearly always have a seat with a good view in the ROH amphi and book with confidence.

I like the Coliseum location, the theatre architecture and the less stuffy atmosphere, but my problem is the view from the seats which are not well raked or spaced, it can't just be me as there are always people trying to change seats in the intervals, this is mainly the Dress and Upper Circles, the Balcony is better but very uncomfortable, whereas I nearly always have a seat with a good view in the ROH amphi and book with confidence.

I have the same problem with the raking in the Coliseum.  I know it can sometimes be an issue in the stalls at the ROH, but I find it more of a problem at the Coliseum.

I think that the main problem with having the Bolshoi at the ROH is the very high price of tickets with a reasonable and not too distant view of the stage. 

It is for this reason that I much prefer the Coliseum.

By the way, the problematic toilets there are the ones below the foyer. All the others seem fine and far more plentiful than at the ROH.

Anyway, we now know that the Bolshoi is coming to the ROH in 2016 so that is where we shall all have to go!

I would love to see Muntagirov guest with the Bolshoi in Don Q as the Acosta version didn't make the most of him. But I suppose that's wishful thinking.

The ROH may offer inferior views, but the restricted view seats do make the possibility of seeing the Bolshoi more affordable. I try to get to the Coliseum when I can, but seeing multiple casts there can be very expensive.

I don't think you are QUITE old folks' home fodder yet John....but you may wish to start saving for surgery or treatment so that you don't ruin the atmosphere at the ROH in a few years' time!!

• Like 3

I can say this because I am often among them........ but those of us who spend our intervals sitting on the ROH benches at Amphi level, in the Floral Hall or below the Stalls Circle may unwittingly contribute to the impression formed by MAB. Of course, many people who are sitting there are taking a rest from standing for the performance itself which is hardly a sign of being old and decrepit!!!!

I can say this because I am often among them........ but those of us who spend our intervals sitting on the ROH benches at Amphi level, in the Floral Hall or below the Stalls Circle may unwittingly contribute to the impression formed by MAB. Of course, many people who are sitting there are taking a rest from standing for the performance itself which is hardly a sign of being old and decrepit!!!!

Thanks, incognito .... and a lot of the younger folks I have spoken to say they 'just wouldn't' .... stand that is.  You pays your money and ... :) 

I wished they would mix the performances a bit for those of us who travel to London to see them. Unfortunately I won't be able to stay for the entire period.

I hope that when I'm old I still will be flying over to watch lovely ballet performances. When my help will wheel me to my front row seat I will have a blast and the last thing I'll worry about will be what others may be thinking of me

• Like 5

Worded my comment rather unthinkingly, but am genuinely concerned by the dwindling numbers of young people on ballet nights at ROH,  Doesn't bode well for future audiences.

By the way, I'm fairly old myself.

• Like 1

Not sure where you spend the intervals MAB, but I'm always surprised at how many younger folk are in attendance at ROH - well, when comparing to myself that is.

Personally (from own experience mainly) I don't think that 'new audience' necessarily comes from young people as such, but from people looking for new experiences, once 'too old' to get bashed around at rock gigs, or 'living it large' in night clubs etc. Whilst exposure to ballet (or opera) at a younger age may give you confidence to try it again later in life, I'm not so sure it follows as a guarantee. When younger, being 'dragged kicking and screaming' to something like the ballet - may put you off for life! :-)

• Like 3

I haven't noticed the ballet audience being more elderly than it used to be, and I have been going to the ROH for almost 40 years.  As Dave says, I often comment to people how nice it is to see so many young people turning up, and not just to the McGregors!  I always think that the opera audience is much 'older' than the ballet one.

• Like 4

Thanks, incognito .... and a lot of the younger folks I have spoken to say they 'just wouldn't' .... stand that is.  You pays your money and ... :)

Just like the people I try and talk into going, who say they would only want the top seats.  Well, I'm sure we'd all like the top seats - it's just that some of us can't afford them, so it's either tailor your purchases to match your income, or don't go.  I know which I'd pick.

• Like 1

I'm in the process of house training a couple of teenagers of my acquaintance. Phase 2 has been initiated for one of them whereby he gets a couple of tickets to go with a friend.

Obviously my ulterior goal is to eventually get them happily addicted so in a few decades they'd be willing to pick me up from an old folks home for a lovely outing to Covent Garden. And thus the circle of ROH life continues with an never-ending supply of future old fogeys...

Just like the people I try and talk into going, who say they would only want the top seats.

Snap - so many people I know wouldn't consider standing or upper slips tickets Edited by Coated
  • Like 3

Well delighted obviously for Don Quixote!  And yes dream of dreams would be Osipova/Vasiliev guesting!!! But so disappointed with the rest of the same old same old.  The Bolshoi has so many interesting new stuff I wanted to see - Marco Spada, Lost Illusions, Ivan the Terrible then there is Pharoah's Daughter and Bright Stream and Spartacus which I would dearly love to see again.  Would have preferred the Coli myself, but can't have it all.  It'll be a cheaper run for me then - maybe I'll chance NYCB in Paris but hate the Theatre Chatelet there.

• Like 1

I would have loved to have seen Lost Illusions too.

I'm going to see the Alvin Ailey company (among other things) in Paris next month, don't think I've ever come across a theatre where so many seats have restricted views.