Central School of Ballet associates and summer school

tinydancer

Hello tinydancer and welcome to the forum. My daughter is just coming to the end of five very happy years as a Central Prep and Pre-Senior and I would happily recommend it. I believe there is a new Preps teacher now as my dd always had Miss Simpson. Christine Woodward, the Pre-Senior Ballet Teacher, is outstanding and my dd has adored her classes during the last two years. The scheme is very good value IMO as it's not just Ballet and Character but also Pilates (or Dalcroze for younger ones) and excellent Contemporary training.

These threads may also be useful: http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/6484-central-associate-auditions/

and http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/6183-central-ballet-associate-audition/

I don't think dd ever did the summer course because she liked to try other courses - LCB, Elmhurst etc. but she has done the Easter (Spring) course several times and had a lovely time.

• Like 1

I'm sure she is.

The yearly assessments are pretty stringent and the girls who have been there from Prep 1 will end up repeating a year because there are four classes covering five academic school years. Which year they repeat is decided by the teacher and the Assessor together. Historically the hardest Assessment to pass was the one at the end of Prep 3 to go up to Pre-Seniors, but although the assessments are sometimes stressful, they are valuable preparation for full-time Vocational school. The days get longer as the students get older and move up the scheme. Again, good preparation for full time school. :-)

• Like 1

This is really helpful. Dd starts in Prep 1 this September and is really excited. Have also had a couple of very helpful PMs from members of this group which have been very reassuring :)

• Like 1

We have found this thread really interesting too as my dd is starting Prep 1 in September.

We also got offered LJB and although they both seemed very good we chose Central in the end.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of what the Dalcroze class is?

• Like 1

If you search Youtube for Dalcroze Eurhythmics there are some examples. It wasn't part of the programme for Preps when my dd was a Prep so we didn't encounter it until Final auditions, if I remember rightly. A Senior School student was there to demonstrate and dd said she found it fine.

• Like 1