What is stylised ballet and how does it differ from modern ballet, if at all?

Loopy

At festivals stylised ballet solos would be dances with a spanish style and fans or a Japanese style, when I did my solo in a red tutu with a fan I was told it was stylised and had to be in that section but when I got rid of the fan it was always classical. As far as I know modern ballet is more acrobatic with tuned in positions, walk overs, kicks and floor work but also in pointe shoes if older, but with an overall ballet feel and style. This is only from my festival experience but hope it helps!!

That's my understanding too. I think stylised ballet and demi character are more or less the same thing - ballet in the style of a character or national dance but without definite story telling like in full character dances, or the technical accuracy of an actual national dance. So a classical dance "in the style of" something, but utlising the classical vocabulary. Modern ballet has a different technique and vocabulary as I understand it. I could be completely wrong though - I'm no expert!

IMHO stylised ballet is classical but with a 'feel' of something else, so perhaps a Balanchine-esque 'jazz' influence, or a Spanish ballet.

Modern ballet is more like Forsythe's work, or even things like Rite of Spring - very contemporary but with pointe shoes!

• Like 1

My DD does a modern ballet solo for festivals. It's a mix of ballet and some modern technique ie; parallel legs and feet and also includes some more lyrical arms. She wears a very simple skirted leotard and canvas ballet shoes, the music is by Einaudi.

My understanding of stylised ballet is as has been said above, classical ballet but with props ie; a fan, a flower garland or could be a hornpipe or Scottish steps/styling. Something along those lines.

Great! Thank you all. DD has choreographed Alice for a competition and I thought it was stylised. Then someone challenged me on it and I could find anything helpful to define it..... But what dr dance and pups mum have said is exactly what I'd thought. Hopefully it will be alright!

Speaking from the perspective of All England Dance, the definition of stylised ballet is quite specific. It is CLASSICAL ballet technique, representing a particular dance style or theme, which can be danced with props, but without specific story telling. So if you were to dance a ballet solo with a tambourine in the style of a Tarantella, but not using authentic Tarantella choreography, that would be stylised ballet. The key point to remember is that stylised ballet must always be based on strict classical technique, it is not contemporary in any way.

Modern ballet refers to a fusion of classical and modern techniques. So neo-classical and contemporary style ballet would fit into this category. Costuming and music also plays a part. For example, dancing to electronic music wearing a tie-died catsuit, would constitute modern ballet, even if the content is quite classical. I would disagree strongly with Dr Dance and say that anything Balanchine style would probably be considered modern ballet in All England terms, as hi s work is clearly neo-classical, frequently using parallel legs and, non classical arm lines and so on.

Loopy, if your DD has choreographed a dance with a character theme, then it should definitely be entered as a character, not as a ballet.

Edited by Ballet_Is_King