Buy In Haste (don't)

Jacqueline

I was looking through the Sunday papers yesterday and came upon the interiors section. There was quite an eye catching vase featured and I wondered if it might not be the kind of item one might buy and then regret. I have made a few such purchases over the years and am now much more circumspect before handing over the cash. 

I used to get carried away mostly on holiday and fail to consider how a large camel carved in olive wood, exotic in Tunisian desert context, might look in the reality of an English semi.

I also bought a pair of wooden clogs in my size, in Amsterdam. They were of the unpainted, natural look which I could imagine actually wearing to do the gardening, clogs being the original footwear of choice for agricultural workers I believe. They did not take kindly to the leaden clay soil of my garden!

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has bought something they really wish they hadn't, even regretted it before they got it home and then been unable to return it for whatever reason. Perhaps wrapped it up and passed it on as a present? :ph34r:

Round where I live we have a way of getting rid of our unwanted buys/gifts.

Our neighbourhood watch co-ordinator organises 'Carols on the Green' each December where we have mulled wine and mince pies and a sing song with all our neighbours, local police and Mother & Father Christmas.

We have a raffle where it is a kind of tradition to bring your unwanted & unused items to donate. You can always bring back your 'prize' the following year.

We had, for a few years, a copper bowl that was always the last thing to be claimed and was returned each year like you did with a school trophy but one year it didn't come back and when we asked the neighbour who had won it the previous year he said 'Oh I sold it at a car boot sale'. :huh:

I'm a terrible one for impulse buys but, fortunately for me, I have very rarely had regrets.  One of them is a dress I bought in Tescos 2 years ago that was in the sale for £8.  I never wear dresses unless I am going to a dooooo and this is not suitable for a doooooo so I suppose I will take it to a charity shop when I get round to having a clearout!

For me it is shoes.  I have hundreds of pairs of lovely high heeled gorgeous shoes which are totally impractical for anything other than moving from car to restaurant and back to car again.  They are delicate, beautiful and totally impractical but every time I see such a pair, I have to buy - despite my conscience on my shoulder saying "you'll never wear them".

Oh well - they are pretty to look at!!!  ;)

• Like 2