Summer school and vocational

Mae989

Hi, we have just had information sent for vocational school to start in September. Whilst looking through the home agreement I notice that it states in there the children shouldn't be taught anywhere else, do not like them to do the intensives and are not to apply for other schools or this could affect the MDS.

I'm sure lots of you have had experience of this, so is this the case or are there ways round it?! I would hate to think my DD couldn't do any intensives or ever apply for another school until 16.

Hi, if you want your DC to do any courses you have to email the director for permission.  There are actually a lot of courses, Summer, Easter etc that are allowed.  However, Associates classes and any weekly classes aren't allowed as they feel that the children need rest and consistent teaching methods.

Children have always auditioned for other schools and I think that it's the case that they have had several children leave after good training from them.  I can see their point to a certain extent but it is rather harsh on the child when it only affects children receiving/needing MDS.

I think it is more a case of asking permission for summer schools or Easter schools.  They certainly do not like any classes or schemes that take place during term time as the children do need time to rest and to not have any clashes with anything going on with school. There certainly seem to be plenty of vocational students at summer schools. As for applying to other schools - well in my view, if you are happy with the school for both academics and the training you would not be likely to apply elsewhere anyway.  If you or your DD are not happy with the school, then you take your chances both for MDS and for getting a place at another school anyway as there is not automatic transferral of places or funding for students wishing to change schools.

• Like 2

Children have always auditioned for other schools and I think that it's the case that they have had several children leave after good training from them.  I can see their point to a certain extent but it is rather harsh on the child when it only affects children receiving/needing MDS.

What is their point? I can understand teachers being disappointed if a student they have invested in leaves but schools are businesses at the end of the day and the students are their customers. If a student thinks they can get training that would better suit them, give them a better chance of employment or an in environment they would prefer, I don't think it's fair of the school to effectively say "sorry but we own you."

What are you saying only applies to children in receipt of MDS? This rule about not applying elsewhere? I understand that if you're on an MDS assisted place at one school and you are awarded a place at another that you will not necessarily get assistance at that school, but surely if you want to forfeit the MDS in favour of a school you prefer, that should be up to you.

I agree about asking for permission to attend classes outside of school although I don't see why summer schools would be forbidden (unless you were planning to do intensive courses the entire summer.)

The schools in question have no problem with students attending summer schools or one off workshops though they like to be informed. Mostly so the can be sure a student isn't going somewhere in reputable where they be likely to pick up injuries etc.

What they do have a problem with is children auditioning for other competition/performance teams where the other school claims the child as 'theirs' or taking part in regular weekly classes, due to the risk of burnout/injury from over training.

What they do have a problem with is children auditioning for other competition/performance teams where the other school claims the child as 'theirs' or taking part in regular weekly classes, due to the risk of burnout/injury from over training.

That's understandable but what about this prohibition of applying to other schools? Presumably the OP is referring to applications to study at a different vocational school instead of the current one, not as well as.

If you doing a summer school and don't shout about it or plaster it on social media, there's a good chance school will not know, if you would prefer they didn't!

Summer schools etc always take publicity shots and you can guarantee your child will be right in the middle if you didn't gain permission!

We've always asked, never been refused but normally get reminded about importance of rest and other activities. Hard returning back after a holiday with a dance related injury when you haven't sought permission - doesn't go down well with the dance staff.

• Like 4

What you are talking about is one rare situation Pictures....

What is their point? I can understand teachers being disappointed if a student they have invested in leaves but schools are businesses at the end of the day and the students are their customers. If a student thinks they can get training that would better suit them, give them a better chance of employment or an in environment they would prefer, I don't think it's fair of the school to effectively say "sorry but we own you."

Ok, I agree with you but it is obviously frustrating for them when DC effectively let them know that they might prefer to train somewhere else.  I didn't say I thought it was fair  ^_^

What are you saying only applies to children in receipt of MDS? This rule about not applying elsewhere? I understand that if you're on an MDS assisted place at one school and you are awarded a place at another that you will not necessarily get assistance at that school, but surely if you want to forfeit the MDS in favour of a school you prefer, that should be up to you.

MDS is taken off DC who break the rules.....

I agree about asking for permission to attend classes outside of school although I don't see why summer schools would be forbidden (unless you were planning to do intensive courses the entire summer.)

Summer schools are allowed at my younger DD's school.  At WL they used to be very strict about where DC could attend but the new Director is pretty much the opposite in saying that DC should go out and see what is on offer and experience new environments, and also see that there are other dancers just as good or better than them.

• Like 3

What you are talking about is one rare situation Pictures....

Yes I guess/would hope so.

I do know that children have in recent years auditioned for & left to attend a variety of other vocational schools of various types from pure ballet schools like Elmhurst to 'stage schools' like Italia Conti to state funded schools such as Brit. Maybe they are trying to stop that - but I can't see it myself. 11 is such a young age to decide what type of training will suit you & I can't see them wanting to prevent s child from finding the right path for them otherwise unhappiness would ensue. Every child has the right to change their mind & try for a slightly different path (as long as you give a full terms notice)

I don't think Mae needs to overly worry but I do see the need to get the quality of summer schools a little as so many are springing up now.

It's interesting what you say about Roysl being less strict now. A child I know was prevented from making any appearance in her old ballet school show even though it took place after the end of term which seemed a bit harsh at the time (think she got around it by being the baby class helper) & a student from Central was similarly banned

Each school and each Director makes their own rules I guess...when we sign up we know the rules, however frustrating one or two of them might be.

As an aside...many vocational schools say that DC can't go on rollercoasters or take part in 'dangerous' activities.  Elmhurst allow students to do a great deal more normal activities a 'normal' child would do

I don't like rollercoasters myself but with regard to injury, DC are at far more risk journeying to and from school in the car (or cartwheeling on the grass at school) than being injured like at a theme park but trying to minimise risk seems reasonable, however I feel that children give up enough of their childhood going away to school and working as hard as they do...

Back to topic...if in doubt...ask 

• Like 2

My DD broke her wrist just falling downstairs at vocational school - accidents can happen even with normal activities ... She did also break it ice skating ! But that was before ballet school .She has subsequently been safely ice skating .My dilemma now is whether to let her go skiing over New Year prior to 6th form auditions.

That's a tough one celb....

I know plenty of DC who ski, ride horses, go on roller coasters...and have a great time and don't get injured.  I also know plenty who don't...and get injured doing ballet! :unsure:

• Like 1

I think it depends on how good a skier they are. There is more danger of damaging knees etc. if its your first time. If they are careful and don't take silly risks I don't think a week's skiing is goiing to build huge thigh muscles or anything. My DD has been whilst at vocational school and its never been a problem, though she gas been skiing since she was 3 ( we lived en Suisse!)

DRSC

• Like 2

It has put my mind at ease that it seems that, with permission, they seem quite flexible. Sometimes I guess what it says in the rules isn't always set in stone if you are open about it and have good reason. I would only ever pick good quality intensives/ summer schools anyway. I think it would make me worry if I ever needed to approach them for auditioning for an alternative vocational school. Hopefully we will not have to even think about that!!

I did notice the 'dangerous activities' section. There's no worries about my DD and roller coasters, the most dangerous ride I could ever get her on would be the teacups I'm sure! I am a little worried knowing that she has an adventure week coming up with her current school including zip wires over lakes, caving and high ropes!!!! But that's all part of the adventure of growing up and I would hate for her to ever think dancing held her back from experiences like that

The new students at Hammond go to Conway in the first week of term and take part in activities which I, as a very cautious parent at the time, was quite worried about.  They had a fantastic time.  I did wonder about the rationale but was promised that it had all been risk assessed etc  :rolleyes:

• Like 4

The organised activities at adventure camps do seem to be very well supervised with all the right equipment and training. D has survived high zip wires, jumping off cliffs (did not know about that until afterwards) and various other adenaline fuelled pastimes. The only time she has ever got injured was  riding a bike (!) she hit a stone and flew over the handle bars. Has been much more cautious since so could say it was a learning experience.